Sunday, October 15, 2006

Q&A, part 2

I liked Vicki’s post so much I decided to try it myself. I even left in the Canadian spellings.

What was your first job?
Grounds crew at a golf course.
When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
After reading one too many Clive Cussler books.
What was your first paid professional writing assignment?
It was a freelance assignment. I was hired by Dixon Schwabl Advertising to write the coffee table book that would accompany a community arts charity event. They must have liked it since they went and hired me full time.
Career influences?
Donald Westlake, PG Wodehouse, Jon Cleary, Edgar Rice Burroughs, George MacDonald Fraser, Larry McMurtry, Paul Theroux.
Favourite author?
Westlake.
What is your favourite writing genre?
Adventure fiction. This includes stuff like Westlake (Kahawa, High Adventure), McMurtry’s westerns, Elmore Leonard (Cuba Libra), Cleary (High Road to China, Golden Saber), Theroux (Mosquito Coast, Saint Jack, My Secret Life) and everything by Fraser.
What book are you currently reading?
Windfall by Desmond Bagley and Plunder of the Sun by David Dodge. In the CD player in the car I’ve got Interlude in Death by J.D. Robb.
Favourite sport?
To play it’d be softball but I’ll watch any sport.
Favourite local spot?
The Dinosaur Barbecue.
Favourite way to relax?
Reading and, as much as I hate to do it, going to the gym.
Favourite hobby?
Playing the sax.
Favourite snack?
Martini olives, properly skewered and soaked.
Favourite meal?
Anything Indian.
Dogs or cats?
Is this part of the meal question?
Wine or beer?
Whiskey.
What's in your music player?
Robbie William (Greatest Hits), My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (Live) and Lee Press-on & the Nails (Playing Dirty)

4 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Next time we're having a drink (wine for me, whiskey for you), let's talk about George MacDonald Fraser. I absolutely love Flashman. Have you read the new one? The first Flashman in many years. I Can't remember the title off hand but it takes place in Ethopia.

Charles benoit said...

It's Flashman on the March and while I have it, I haven't read it yet. I recently finished Flashman and the Tiger, 3 long "short stories" that includes the title story in which Flashy meets up with Mr. Holmes. It's a brilliant blend of a new story into an old.

sink sink socks said...

The withdrawalfrom the outer world retains its significance also for opa fickt teenie our conception;though not the only factor, it nevertheless helps the regression to makepossible the representation of the dream.

superclosetnerd said...

I thought I'd share this little gem with fellow enthusiasts... Once you dig in a little there are many oustanding articles. Check it out when you feel like reading - golf school