Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Home - and Holmes - for the Holidays

Happy Non-denominational festive celebration of your choice to everyone. I’m taking a short break from cleaning the house to write my blog entry. If you know me, you’ll know how strange the phrase ‘cleaning the house’ is, coming from the tips of my fingers. I clean as infrequently as possible without being in danger of having my house condemned. I’ve always had a cleaning woman, but when the last of my children moved out (to take up housecleaning elsewhere) I decided that I could manage it myself. It’s been touch and go. I have a very, very longhaired dog (some of the hairs on her tail are 8 inches long or more) and hardwood floors, so tufts of what looks like black snow regularly drift down the hallway. But today I am cleaning, getting ready for all the children to start arriving home tonight. I am so excited! Once I’ve finished cleaning – if ever – I’m going to start wrapping gifts and hanging decorations. Then it’ll be time to drive to the airport to pick up the first of the wandering Delany offspring, coming in from Ottawa.

One of my private Christmas traditions is to read “Holmes for the Holdiays” every year. I light a few candles, pour a glass of seasonal cheer, curl up in a comfy armchair, and delight in reading the collection of modern short stories about that greatest of detectives, all set during the holiday season. Last year I was in Scene of the Crime Bookstore in Oakville (much missed) and discovered “More Holmes for the Holidays.” What joy! I’ve spoken before about the delights of small, specialty bookstores – you rarely get that kind of a delicious find at one of the big chain bookstores.

On that note, it’s time to get back to my swifter and mop, and that pile of wrapping paper. Perhaps I’ll squeeze in one more store from “Holmes for the Holidays” first.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Vicki

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - benidorm apartamento alquilar. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

Ifa Fernandes said...

- obat kuat
- obat kuat pria