Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Impressive debut!

Well, you can tell I'm not terribly good at this cyberspace stuff, since I forgot my very first blogging duty this Monday, although technically it's still Monday in some part of Canada, so maybe I can sneak this in. Note the life of a writer - wide awake and glued to the keyboard at 12:30 a.m. With all of us sharing duties on this blog, we've each been assigned a day of the week. Mine is Monday, which for all my years as a working stiff I always tried to forget. There's a good excuse.
I have been spending the past week being a reader instead of a writer, ever since I sent the manuscript of the latest Inspector Green mystery to my agent and publisher on January 1st. It's been wonderful to have time to read again, especially nice since here in Ottawa there has been precious little else to do. No snow, no skating rinks, no skiing, just mud, rain, and balmy breezes.
My TBR pile had grown so tall and wobbly that it was hard to know where to start. I have just finished Bill Deverell's April Fool, which was wonderful and justifiably won the Arthur Ellis Best Novel Award last year. Part slapstick, part sly satire, part poignant commentary on growing old. I'm now reading fellow-blogger Rick Blechta's When Hell Freezes Over, and am in the middle of a rollercoaster ride that's hard to step off. There's another good excuse.
In fact, I'm going to sign off now so that I can go to bed, and back to the rollercoaster ride. Same time next week.

No comments: