Tuesday, January 16, 2007

It's everywhere!

From Rick

Not meaning to be crude in mentioning this, I was doing a gig last week and decided to visit the men's room before one of the sets. (If you've ever been in the situation where you're quite literally trapped at the back of a stage and have to pee 5 minutes into a 45-minute set, you'll understand my "concern".)

As I stood facing what nature intended be a tiled wall, I noticed something new: a small TV screen on which a video began playing as soon as I stepped up. Actually, it wasn't just some video; it was an ad for deodorant soap. I immediately checked my armpits like some Pavlovian dog before I could stop myself. I toyed momentarily with aiming upwards a bit on my urinal to see what damage I could cause, but alas, morals intervened. They probably had this aspect of the business covered anyway.

Then it hit me: You can't even visit the washroom anymore without someone trying to sell me something!

(On the surface this may not seem to have anything to do with a Blog on crime writing, but stay with me here.)

Looking around I saw one other video player over by the sinks and several more print ads. Quite literally the walls were covered with advertising. A quick check of the stalls showed that, sure enough, each one also had a print ad on the inside of the door. I later checked with the ladies in the band and they're little sanctum has also been blessed by the gods of advertising.

To me, this whole thing is the final straw. They have commercials at movies. The last show I went to had 11 ads before they even got to the coming attractions (9 of those). They're putting in video monitors at the gas pumps, in supermarkets. Jiminy Crickets, there's even advertising on the flooring in supermarkets. You can't go to a stadium anymore with out being bombarded by advertising to the point where you find you're reading the ads instead of watching the game. Quite literally, advertising is everywhere! Next up, I'll bet, will advertising on toilet paper -- although that might not be such a bad idea. There's some deep symbological significance there. Ah, the glory of revenge...

I sat down to write my blog entry for this week on a totally different topic, but decided I needed to get this off my chest. I felt a lot better, then I got a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach: isn't that just what this blog is doing, too? We authors are trying to present ourselves, and hopefully our writing, to a wider audience with these little weekly scribblings.

At least I hope we're entertaining. The deodorant soap commercial wasn't.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Now some more advertising! (Is he for real?):

A contest is being held for my most recent novel, _When Hell Freezes Over_, and it's very nearly the 11th hour! If you have read the book, you can enter, and that means everyone -- even Charles)!. Go to rickblechta.com and on the left hand side of the home page is a link to the contest. There are some really neat prizes. Check it out!

But hurry! The contest ends at midnight on January 31st.

Can the kid write ad copy or what?!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

free online car insurance quote
state farm car insurance
florida car insurance
car insurance dallas
diamond car insurance
car insurance broker
instant car insurance quote
antique car insurance
fresno car insurance
low car insurance
online auto insurance quote
direct line car insurance
car insurance n
compare car insurance
low cost car insurance
in car insurance
progressive car insurance
norwich union car insurance
mercury car insurance
auto insurance company
aa car insurance
new york car insurance
direct line car insurance
auto insurance company
car insurance san diego
low cost car insurance
online auto insurance quote
low car insurance
new york car insurance
aaa car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
auto insurance company

Rick Blechta said...

As to the comment above:

SEE WHAT THE HELL I'M TALKING ABOUT?

We're doomed...

Anonymous said...

Cute, very cute... Thanks man!

top best diet pills


best diet hoodia pill


See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hello
soft for windows software,news mobile ,games
http://spdimon.info

Bye

Charles benoit said...

At least your posts get ads...

Rick Blechta said...

One thing I also meant to mention in my blog entry was that the contest I'm running (and talked about at the end of the entry) has been attracting its share of spammers, too.

Now don't ask me how this would pay off for anyone, but they actually have to fill stuff out and put their spam message in the "comments" box. In other words, it can't be done using a computer to automate it.

Like I've said, it's EVERYWHERE!

Vicki Delany said...

I can set the comments to require that anyone wanting to make a comment has to type in the code words. Do you want me to do that - I'm afraid it might discourage genuine commenters.

Rick Blechta said...

Ah, let's leave it for now. It can actually be useful.

So far I've reduced my overall insurance costs by over 50%, lost 33 1/3 pounds and bought several great software programs.

And that's all from just one blog entry.

Not bad, eh?

Did I mention that I also won over 20 million euros this week? And I'm helping some poor sod in Africa get his $10 million out of Kenya -- at least I THINK it's Kenya.

Anonymous said...

Hello
Mac OS X software,news driver ,games
http://italiagame.org

G'night

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your wonderful blog. I've learned alot about california health insurance
here. I've got a little site which contains info about california health insurance , as well
as a few other things. Please stop by
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Great blog very informative re car churchill home insurance insurance online. In a simliar vain to car churchill home insurance insurance online would definitely recommend http://www.bargainplace.co.uk for **cheap car insurance** or **cheap home insurance**, even **cheap pet insurance**

Anonymous said...

Bush and the Republicans were not protecting us on 9-11, and we aren't a lot safer now. We may be more afraid due to george bush, but are we safer? Being fearful does not necessarily make one safer. Fear can cause people to hide and cower. What do you think? Why has bush turned our country from a country of hope and prosperity to a country of belligerence and fear.
If ever there was ever a time in our nation's history that called for a change, this is it!
We have lost friends and influenced no one. No wonder most of the world thinks we suck. Thanks to what george bush has done to our country during the past three years, we do!

Anonymous said...

city event new york