Friday, February 23, 2007

Let it snow, let it snow...

There was a fevered argument on the Poisoned Pen Press author’s discussion list about a week ago. Someone wrote that she was in a blizzard and enjoying it, and I wrote to tell her that I love a good blizzard also, and Charles said that we were both officially insane. Everyone else then chipped in with their opinion. When I tell people that I am retiring next month and moving, quite a few ask if I’m going to the Caribbean or Florida. “No,” I say, “I’m going in the other direction.” Yup, I’m heading north. I love winter; I love the deep cold and deep snow. I hate winters in Southern Ontario, too wimpy.

Last weekend I went to Ottawa to visit my eldest daughter and my brother. Saturday afternoon we went to LaNordique Scandinavian Spa in Quebec. They have a steam room, sauna, cold, temperate and hot pools and resting areas. And it’s all outdoors and nestled in the woods, so that you walk from one area to another in your bathing suit and towel and sandals outdoors (it was about -5 degrees). The cold pools are really cold – a waterfall flows down from the snow-covered hills. At one point I was sitting beside the outdoor fireplace (yup, in bathing suit and towel) and I touched my head to find that my hair was frozen. I was in the hot pool when I saw some people rolling in the snow. So I thought I’d try it. That was an experience, I can tell you. Invigorating, to say the least.

I am going to Bouchercon in Alaska in September, and had been considering staying on to spend the winter in the Yukon, which is something I’ve always wanted to do. But the new book is scheduled to come out in October, so I’m now planning to do a book tour down the U.S. west coast. Unlikely that I’ll want to drive all the way back to the Yukon after than. Another year, perhaps.

Speaking of the new book, I sent the final version of In the Shadow of the Glacier off to Barbara and it now in the process of being turned into an ARC (advance reading copy).

Until next time, Vicki, in the wimpy south.

1 comment:

maweiyi623 said...

Hello! You have a very nice blog! I'm here to share valuable info with you visit my blog,about Mozilla Firefox web browser.