Thursday, March 08, 2007

Back to the Past

Vicki here...

As I might have mentioned here before, I’m retiring at the end of the month. Only 16 more work days, but who’s counting, eh? As part of cleaning up my office, I’m taking all my personal files off the work computer. I came across some journals that I wrote back in 1999 as part of the creative writing course I was taking. Creative writing teachers generally believe that the writing process has to be constantly encouraged, so they have the students writing in a journal every day. What good it does, I can’t really say as those are the only times in my life that I have ever kept a journal. Anyway, I read about how I was taking the course called “Crafting the Novel” because the novel I was trying to write ‘lurched from major scene to major scene with no down points’. Sounds like a good reason to be taking a course, it’s probably a problem for lots of beginners – how to make the story flow when you’re just excited about getting all the thrilling parts out of your head and down on paper. Hopefully I learned some things in those classes.

That book was Whiteout, my first attempt at a full length novel (I had written short stories and children’s stories before). Whiteout was eventually published (sorta) by an e-publishing company. For a few months e-pub was looking to be the next big thing in publishing. It quickly sank almost without a trace. But the company that published Whiteout did also produce a few POD books, so I have copies of my initial opus to reminisce over. It had a very nice cover – all red and black and white and very moody. The publisher soon went out of business – the fate of all too many publishers – and Whiteout languished out of print, fondly remembered only by the contents of my bottom drawer. Until this week when it was resurrected. It is going to be published by Worldwide Library (an imprint of Harlequin). They only publish works that have been published before and distribute only to book clubs (i.e. not retail). I’m very pleased about this, as it will be nice to see Whiteout get a larger audience. And its money for no work as they’re taking the book as is. Nice, eh?

There is a new space on the web that looks like a great place for readers to spend some leisure time in. It’s called the Habitual Reader (http://www.habitualreader.com/). Right now they have a feature on me in which I discuss why I am a habitual reader and also give my top ten list. Check it out if you have some time.

No comments: