Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Countdown Begins

Second last day at work – oh wow! The feeling is just so strange. This morning was ‘THE LAST TIME I’LL BE ON THE GO TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!” My retirement party is tonight, and I am so excited. Last night I went to an executive meeting of Sisters In Crime, Toronto Chapter, and they presented me with a card and a gift certificate to a bookstore (natch!). Very nice.

In preparation for my cross-country trip, I’ve got camping and tourist guides and maps from all the provinces I’ll be driving through and I’ve been pouring over them working out my route. Unfortunately the route won’t be all that complicated. My house closes on May 15th and I have to be in Nelson by May 22nd for my first house sit. So that gives me 7 days to drive half way across the country. I know that for our European readers that might sound like a lot, but you can pretty much count on five full days of driving flat out to get from Oakville, Ontario to Nelson, BC with only one driver. Oh, well I’ll have other opportunities to take a more leisurely trip. High on my list of things to do another time is go to Churchill, Manitoba in October 2008 to see the polar bears.

I’ve been reading a stack of books on traveling across Canada. Starting Out in the Afternoon, by Jill Frayne, The Canada Trip by Charles Gordon, Timbit Nation by John Stackhouse, Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw by Will Ferguson. I have an idea for a book just niggling at the back of my mind; I’ll take notes along the way and see if anything comes of it. You never know.

Tomorrow I’m heading off to New York State for a murder mystery weekend at the Keuka Lake Wine Trail in the Finger Lakes district. I am going to be the guest writer at Keuka Springs Winery (Charles will be at Barrington Cellars). A great way to start my retirement and the rest of my life, I think.

By the time we get to B.C. my dog, Shenzi, will be one of the few dogs in the world to have peed on a tree in every province in Canada. Pretty impressive, eh? Ten years ago two of my children and I drove out to Newfoundland with Shenzi.

3 comments:

Bibliochef said...

Check out my site at http://www.cookingwithideas.typepad.com for some travel advice here and there hidden in the other stuff.

Meanwhile, probably loads of Canadian dogs have peed in many of the provinces of Canada, don't you think?

Or not? I can be wrong more often than not.. .

Rick Blechta said...

Congratulations! You made it out alive.

Vicki Delany said...

Bibliochef - lots of dogs have peed in SOME (or even MANY) of the provinces of Canada, but I don't suppose many have peed in EVERY province. Not a lot of Canadian people have been to every province - I haven't. I've never been to Saskatchewan, where my father was born and raised, and I haven't been to Manitoba since I was there to be born.