Thursday, August 09, 2007

Promotion

Sometimes I wish I could sit in the basement and write. People by the millions would soak up every word I write and eagerly look forward to the next book in the series. Line-ups would form outside bookstores when the book is being released and the books would arrive in crates. Not boxes, crates. And, best of all, I would have done nothing to promote the books. The poetry of my writing, the transcendent nature of my prose, the excellence of the plot, would promote themselves.

But as I am not JK Rowling (when was the last conference you were at where she was there, eh? Tell me that!) I will be spending a good part of the rest of the year flogging In the Shadow of the Glacier. I'm going to Alaska for Bouchercon and then doing a book tour down the West Coast of the U.S. in November. In December I hope to get in some appearances in B.C. I'll let you in on a little secret - I hate promoting myself. I feel like a fool, like a vacumn cleaner salesman standing on the doorstep.

Beyond bookstores, I am wondering what else I can do in the way of promotion. If you haven't already seen it, look down a few posts on this blog and check out Charles' book trailer for Nobel Lies. It is really, really great. I've been putting together some thoughts on how I might do a trailer for In the Shadow of the Glacier. But I don't know much about this stuff. What about copywrites? Can I just use music I like? Where did Charles get that great news footage? Is news footage in the public domain? I could use some old news pictures of anti-Vietnam protests, that would be a nice beginning for the trailer. The book is contemporary but there are old woulds from the Vietnam war being reopened. Some old 60s protest music would be good in the background, but again, what about copywrite?

In the end, although I mutter about having to promote, if I didn't have to go to conferences and booksignings I would never have met great people like Charles, Debby, and particularly Rick who was a super signing buddy when my first book came out. And I'm very much looking foward to some day meeting Donis and Kathleen. And I'm going to Alaska in September and Arizona in November! I guess if I was just sitting in my basement writing earth-shattering prose, I'd never have met those people, and had those experiences.

Vicki

No comments: