Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fantasy and One Last Word on Promotion

I admit that I feel kind of whiny, too, when I complain about promotion. Truth is, you've got to do what you've got to do. Rick is very right when he says the best thing to do is to figure out what you're best at and what you enjoy doing and concentrate on that. Sometimes you may feel you have to do a thing or two that you don't like, but if you do that all the time, you're going to get burned out pretty quickly. Sadly, expense is a consideration for most of us. Each of us has to decide for him/herself how much to invest in the writing enterprise, and figure out how to get the best bang for the buck.

And on the much more pleasant note of reading, I read The Hobbit when I was a kid, and enjoyed it, but never got around to the LOTR books. I was a very indiscriminate reader, and would read anything I could get my hands on and like it. But there were just too many books and not enough time. I remember being impressed with Watership Down, and I read some C.S. Lewis and a few more fantasy books as well, but I never really read much sword and sorcery. I think that I always favored historicals, even as a little kid. I loved to time travel, to leave my troubles behind; go to a different place and time and live there for a while. I still do. I read historicals before I got into mysteries, and in fact historicals led me to mysteries. I mention especially Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time, in which a detective who is confined to bed uses his enforced vacation to try and solve a murder that occurred five hundred years before. It was Ellis Peters who really turned me on to historical mysteries. I loved the true historical novels she wrote as Edith Pargeter, and in my quest to read everything she ever wrote, I put my hands on the first Brother Cadfael mystery, A Morbid Taste for Bones.

The rest is history, literally.

And let me not forget to raise a glass in memory of Madeline L'Engle, whose A Wrinkle in Time made me consider the possibility that one might truly be able to time travel.

3 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

Donis, did you ever read _Pillars of the Earth_ by Ken Follett? For some reason that book has stuck with me more than almost any other. A great story and historically fairly accurate.

Donis Casey said...

I have not, Rick, but I certainly shall. Thanks - Donis

Tristana said...

Keep up the good work.