Saturday, February 23, 2008

Best Year Progress Report

First of all, I want to thank Vicki for adding five more books to my TBR pile, which is already a monster of crushing weight that taunts me from its shadowy corner every time I enter my bedroom. Reading about Canadian writers, though, did cause me to think of a new writer from BC by the name of Sharon Rowse, whose first book, The Silk Train Murder, just came out to wonderful reviews. The mystery is set in Canada at the turn of the 20th Century and features a failed gold prospector who takes a job as a detective on the 'silk train', which ran from Vancouver to New York, carrying silks and luxury textiles from the Orient. It's not only a ripping yarn, it's a fascinating history of a time, place, and events I was totally unfamiliar with.

And, I must comment about Debby's post concerning how a writer faces the end of her book. I totally relate to her fear of not being able to pull it off. It's really horrible to know exactly how you want it to come off and not be sure you have the chops to do it. What you must do, of course, is just do it. I never quite achieve the brilliant, knock-your-socks-off triumph that I had envisioned, but I'm usually pleased enough in the end. Thus far, I've been happy to finish, partly because I often don't know exactly how it's going to end, myself, until it does. Having said that, I'm reminded of a blog entry I did just recently on my own web site entitled I Just Can't Let It Go. Once I do finish a book, I love to go back over it and fiddle with it, changing a word here, a sentence there, like polishing a new-made piece of furniture, trying to achieve that perfect patina.

I just finished a book, in fact, and sent it off to my editor a couple of weeks ago, because the day comes that you have to send the MS off for better or worse. I resepect this woman's opinion immensely, and am always a little anxious when awaiting her verdict. I got her comments back last night. She was extraordinarily complimentary, and right at the moment, I am on cloud nine.
Novel writing is hard, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Sometimes you have to persevere in the face of a lot of disappointment, and have faith in yourself even when it seems no one else does. But if you do, wonderful things could happen.

By the way, I promised an occasional report on the progress of the Best Year of My Life, so here is the first one : so far, so pretty damn good.

(The instant I wrote that, I was overcome with a Chinese-like fear of tempting the gods. I don't know why I distrust good fortune. I never distrust bad fortune.)

2 comments:

qishaya said...

Original christian shoes are first category in alter. They are so much appealing louboutin shoes so, ample of women can not pause to get their hands on them. cheap christian louboutin However, these shoes are not economical. christian louboutin So adequate of women cannot present these shoes. christian louboutin heels Christian Louboutin Replica is presenting the textbook thing for these people. christian louboutin sandals It is present masses of fashionable shoes in an economical rate. christian pumps You know that unique shoes are posh to buy. christian sandals Nevertheless do not think that exchange a shoe with christian louboutin pumps magnificent create of top trait is hard. Now a time model are presented. louboutin pumps But if you hardship attribute cargo look discount christian louboutin for these replicas in a trustworthy position & set an order for your beloved shoes christian louboutin sale

maiyuan said...

Valentine’s day links london is express approaching and men across the links of london earth will start stress out about it. Most men, however, delay awaiting london links charms the last jiffy to goods their Valentine’s day gift. This is because charms links of london they’re whichever dreamy, languid or don’t have any thoughts to make the day unusual. links of london watches Luckily, Valentine’s day is a very painless incident to celebrate. links of london rings Here are some tips to duck being the average sweetie bracelet Joe this year! The two most communal gifts on Valentine’s day plants and chocolates. links jewellery These are very common because ladies like chocolate and flora are an image of honey. cheap links of london It is definitely recommended to give one or, both of these links london jewellery gifts to your female, however, why impede there? links of london sale baby and flowers certainly the way you feel about your youngster? links of london bracelet If yes, then maybe this is where you should rest. links london bracelet One of best other idea Links Of London . links of london charms For example,