Monday, March 10, 2008

Ever the Bridesmaid

Donis here. Due to back-to-back out-of-town events, I missed my regular blog-day, but I want to drop in as promised and report that my Drop Edge of Yonder did not win the 2008 Oklahoma Book Award for Fiction. This is the second time that one of my books has been a finalist and missed out at the end, but I was in good company. Ever the optomist, I shall keep trying.

The winner was Harpsong, a straight historical novel by Rilla Askew. Rilla Askew also beat out The Old Buzzard Had It Coming for the 2007 Centennial Oklahoma Reads Oklahoma prize with her novel Fire in Beulah. Therefore I have to ask, who is this Rilla Askew and how is it that she keeps winning my book prizes?

In fact Rilla Askew is a professor at the University of Oklahoma whose novels Mercy Seat, Fire in Beulah, and Harpsong comprise a trilogy based on Oklahoma history, folk tradition, and myth. I haven't read Harpsong yet (you can bet I will), but I have read the other two, and they're excellent. The very same night that Harpsong won the OK Book Award, it also won the Western Heritage Award. So I can't feel too bad about coming in second (I always tell myself I was second) to quality like that.

Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good, all in all. The weather is heavenly - high 70s today. This is why people live in Arizona. We enjoy it while we can, for it'll be a different story in July. I had a spectacular weekend conducting a mystery writing workshop in Fountain Hills and participating in a gang booksigning in Tucson and selling a load of books. I'd like to write a bit about the workshop, but I'll wait until Saturday, because after all, it's not my turn.

No comments: