Friday, July 04, 2008

How'd it get to be Friday already?

Argh, I’m red-faced and embarrassed to have missed my designated day (again) due to mere spaciness and jet lag. Consequently, I’ll comment very briefly, as I’m intruding on Donis’s or Charles’s space. Last week, I was at the Jackson Hole Writers’ Conference, where I had the honor of being on “faculty.” Tim Sandlin, a noted author himself, is a terrific and empathetic organizer for this 100+ student gathering. He keeps it small so that attendees get to interact in an intimate atmosphere with authors, agents, and publishers. His keynote speakers included Jane Hamilton, Elizabeth George, and Gail Tsukiyama.

Tiffanie DeBartolo, Bill (William Haywood) Henderson, Tina Welling, and I had a fiction panel where we discussed revisions. A lot of people attended, and though the warm room and post-lunch hour might have lulled some to sleep, no one snored or fell out of his or her chair. I often struggle with lethargy around then, but that day I was too thrilled to be with such esteemed writers. Bill, a Wallace Stegner Fellow, has taught at such lofty universities as Harvard, and Tiffanie studied with Tim O’Brien, one of my idols.

The point of all this is—I had that surge of emotion familiar to anyone reading this. I’m so lucky! I love writers, writing, and books. More on this later, but if you’d like to check out the website, the url is: http://www.jacksonholewritersconference.com/index.html

No comments: