Friday, October 17, 2008

B’con redux

After a missed week, Charles here.

So the reason I didn’t write was that I was at Bouchercon, the annual mystery and crime fiction convention, held this year in Baltimore. I wanted to give you a quick recap of my experience and, in keeping with My New Blogging Philosophy*, I have created a sort list, arranged in no particular order:

The Best/Not-So-Best Things That Happened to Yours Truly at Bocuhercon 2008

·Best: Meeting Gerald So, poet and editor of The Lineup, a collection of 14 poems on crime that is a must-have if you are the kind of person reading this blog. [Correction: That's 24 poems by 14 poets and you can snag yourself a copy at Lulu. See the comments section where Gerald has provided a link.]Not-So-Best: Not finding the opportunity to buy that man a drink. I plan on ensuring that our paths cross again so I can rectify that error.

·Best: Meeting a surprisingly large number of fans who had read my books and were looking for more. Not-So-Best: having to explain why it’ll be at least a full year before they get to buy a new one.

·Best: deciding I needed to join Sisters in Crime. Not-So-Best: realizing I should have joined years ago.

·Best: attending an outstanding panel discussion on Edgar Allen Poe, then touring the surprisingly tiny Poe house in Baltimore. Not-So-Best: Missing the chance to discuss their books with the panelist because the signing lines were so long.

·Best: Dinner with Jared and Dan. Not-S-Best: The uphill-both-ways walk to the restaurant.

·Best: Dinner with Maria and Debbie. Not-So-Best: Not being able to doggy bag the great food at Moe’s.

·Best: Reed Coleman winning the Shamus for Soul Patch. Not-So-Best: That the other nominees had to lose.

·Best: Discussing Bouchercon 2009 in Indy with Jim Huang. Not-So-Best: Probably not having a book to promote at Bouchercon 2009 in Indy.

·Best: Feeling my creativity recharged. Not-So-Best: There are only 24 hours in a day and I can’t give as many as I like to writing.

·Best: Finding the little note Rose always hides in my luggage when I take a trip. Flat-out-worst: Not having Rose with me to experience Baltimore, Boucercon and all the social event.

·Best: Rose, picking me up at the airport when I came home.

*See the Type M For Murder guest blog by Dana Denberg, Sunday, October 5th, 2008

5 comments:

Jared said...

I don't think I minded the walk as much as Trey, but I guess he was in a bad mood anyway. And we say this every year, but it's sad that we have to go out of state to meet up. We should do it more often.

Vicki Delany said...

I for one will be lining up to get a signed copy of Charles's next book.

Gerald So said...

Great meeting you, Charles. A small correction to your post: The Lineup is collection of 24 poems by 14 poets, available from Lulu.com:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2132580

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

Boy, I wish I could have been there. It's great to read about your experiences, Charles. Living vicariously helps.

Donis Casey said...

I'm so disgruntled about not being there that I could eat my own liver, as my mother used to say.