Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Finish Line Is in Sight




Oh, just dandy.  Now I’m longing to see beautiful Rochester, NY.  I may have mentioned before that I’ve not spent a great deal of time in the Northeastern part of this great country of ours.  (Which puts me in mind of Rick Blechta’s remark that if I think Teaneck New Jersey is exotic, I need to get out more.)  


No, I am in fact very much a Southwesterner.  I’ve lived in Oklahoma, Texas, and Arizona for the great bulk of my life, and there is much to love about that fact.  I’d go about with my video camera and give you a tour of my beautiful Tempe, Arizona, Dear Readers, but for the fact that I don’t have a video camera other than the camera on my iMac, which is not handy to the purpose, to say the least.  So, I content myself with posting a couple of pictures for your enjoyment.  The big one is of Tempe’s main street, Mill Avenue, where I had my shop for eleven years (Just up the street on the right).  The little one is of the library at Arizona State University, where in my younger days I was the Government Documents Librarian.


Now that my exercise in civic pride is finished, I’ll remind you all that today is the last day to go over to my website for Trick or Treat.  Leave a comment, and you’ll automatically be entered in a drawing for a signed copy of my upcoming book, The Sky Took Him.


Tomorrow, I'll be spending the day in Queen Creek, at the grand opening of their new library.  They asked me to sit at a table and sell/sign books, along with several other local authors, from 10 to 2. 


On November 16, I’ll be the Mistress of Ceremonies at the annual Authors and Auction fundraiser.  I’ll be hosting Nancy E. Turner (These Is My Words),  Frederick Ramsay (Stranger Room), and J.M. Hayes (Broken Heartland).  This should be a great event, so if anyone is in the vicinity, go by http://authorsandauction.com and check it out. 


Then I'm done for the rest of the year, publicity-wise. Thank God, because with all of Don's stuff I am so far behind on planning publicity for the new book it just makes me want to cry.  And don't even get me started about the NEXT book.  


And, speaking of my upcoming book, the launch for The Sky Took Him has finally been set for January 17, a Saturday, at 2 p.m., at Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, AZ.  They are having me do the event by myself, rather than paired with another author, so I'm going to do whatever it takes to guilt, beg, and/or strong-arm everyone with whom I have the slightest acquaintance to come and bring the family and the neighbors.  I can just see myself sitting there all by myself, twisting in the wind - my editor Barbara at my side thinking "Now, why are we publishing her books?"  For one terror-filled moment, it occurred to me that the 17th might be Inauguration Day, but I dodged that bullet.  I wouldn't even show up if that were the case. 


So mark your calendars, Dear Ones, and if you don’t live near, check out the flight schedules.  January is a great time to be here, in any event.


2 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Save me a copy for when I'm there in March. And you can show me Tempe as well.

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

I second that request! Vicki and I are relishing getting together with you.