Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The busiest time of the year

Blechta here, currently on the doorstep of the Big Apple.

My formative years were mostly spent in *Mamaroneck, New York, which is just a few train stations north of the Bronx. It lies on the Long Island Sound and it really is quite a lovely place.

Every year our family comes down for the holidays, and this year is no exception. The only downside is that we have so many holiday-type things to do, it doesn't leave time for other pursuits, like coming up with interesting topics for Type M.

So, like Vicki, I'm just going to wish everyone Happy Holidays and the very best in 2009. I don't have any books coming out – unless miracles happen, but then again, this is the season of miracles, so who knows?

-=-=-=-=-

*For those who have read my most recent, A Case of You, you may recognize the odd name of this town, since I threw it into the story in one of the book's pivotol scenes. In fact, if you were here with me, I could take you to the street and house where the scene takes place!

1 comment:

Rick Blechta said...

An update from Blechta:

I've spent the past week running hither and yon doing the usual holiday things. To be truthful, it has been not much fun at times and very stressful.

Anyway, last night I went to hear the band of an old friend, Billy Reed, in a tiny bar in Mamaroneck, The Duck Inn. (Feel free to use this name for your radio show, Charles.) The band was great as always and a bunch of musicians I hadn't seen in a long, long time showed up. I sat in on organ for half a set with Jerry Marotta on drums. The last time I saw him (other than onstage and at a great distance, playing for Peter Gabriel) was when he was 17. Even though it was pretty hair-raising (no snarky comments, please!) having to fake my way through songs I hadn't played in 40 years ("Try a Little Tenderness" by ear, anyone?), it was a good night.

Why? We all agreed that one's best chance of running into people you haven't seen in far too long is over the Christmas holidays.

I'll have to remember that next year when the holidays threaten to overwhelm me.