Tuesday, December 02, 2008

So many books, so little time...

Blechta here.

I love reading. Big deal. Everyone else here does, too. The big problem with me, is that I just really don't have time to do it.

Sadly, it's been that way for several years now. If I'm not working, practising or playing, I should be writing. Right? But there are some nights, quite frankly, where I just don't have energy enough to do what I should be doing. I often hesitate to pick up a book because the deadly thing about books, is that when you get a good one going, you just can't stop. So one night off becomes three or four since I certainly don't have time to read during the day.

So here's my list, and it does include people I know. With limited time, I often find myself reading books written by friends. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I restrained myself from recommending books by my fellow Type M bloggers, but suffice it to say, a couple their books would also be on this list.

No Such Creature, Giles Blunt; Random House. This book is a complete turn-about from his previous novel. At times, it's hilarious, scary but always believable, in a somewhat warped way.

The Brass Verdict, Michael Connelly; Little, Brown & Co. I really like Harry Bosch. This is one of those books that consumed 3 evenings of reading when I should have been doing any number of other things.

Kill All the Judges, William Deverell; McClelland & Stewart. I'm with Vicki on this one. Hey, you guys down in the States, search out this book. It's worth it.

STOP THE PRESSES!

I decided I wasn't all that keen on my last two choices, so I'm going to leave those two up to you. All of my blog mates released books this year (well, Debby's and Charles' were out in 2007, but since I'm breaking all the rules...), read them and try to figure out which ones would make my list.

And no, I won't tell!

2 comments:

Tom said...

Now here's an interesting blog. Nice to see people sharing for a change. If you guys are in the market for a fast, funny read you should try "108th street" by T. David Lee. My wife recommends reading it in Depends (because it's funny, not that other thing). I've tried to find it on Amazon, etc but so far the only place I've seen it is at www.eloquentbooks.com/108thstreet.html, which I assume is the publisher's web page. Good book about growing up in trhe 1950s.

Rick Blechta said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Tom -- and thanks very much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Please drop by a again, pull up a cyber-chair and feel free to join into the conversation.