Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Thanksgiving Tale

Because of my husband Don's recent illness, I've been keeping in close touch with his sisters, who call and e-mail regularly for progress reports.  Don and I have been through similar events in our lengthy career, but this episode has been particularly tough.

It seems that those stories I'd heard all my life about how it takes you longer to bounce back from illness after a certain age are true, because weeks and weeks went by without any apparent progress.  I am generally a positive person, but this dragged on so long that it was beginning to take a toll on my attitude.  Were things ever going to get back to normal?  Is this the way it's going to be?

Thank God for Don's sisters, who listen so patiently as I whinge about the situation.  During one long telephone session, his eldest sister and I talked about their late mother (who is one of the inspirations for my character Alafair, by the way), how protective she always was of her seven children, and how concerned she would be by Don's situation.

In the true spirit of 'no atheists in foxholes', when I went to bed that night, and for many nights thereafter, I secretly invoked his mother to watch over him, if she would, please.  

Afterwards, he saw a couple of new doctors, has had several tests, had his meds adjusted, all of which has helped a lot, because just in the past couple of weeks, there has finally been a marked improvement.  In fact, barring setbacks, it looks like he's going to be all right.

Whew.

The day before Thanksgiving, we went out for lunch.  During the meal, I was chatting on to him about a colorful dream I had had the night before, and he said, "I've been having an odd experience lately.

"Every morning for the past couple of weeks, when I first wake up in the morning, still half-asleep, I get the distinct feeling that there are three of us in the house - you and me, and another woman.  I don't have a strong impression of who she is, but I never feel alarmed, because it seems that she belongs there." 

I'm not implying anything.  I'm just saying.

On another note, I received my copies of The Sky Took Him a couple of days ago.  Expect nothing but author talk from me for the foreseeable future.

1 comment:

Vicki Delany said...

Glad to hear Don's on the mend. And as the Bard said "There are stranger things..."