Thursday, January 29, 2009

Selling Virginity??

Debby here, and I was going to sticky to writerly issues until I got sidetracked on The Daily Beast this morning and saw this article. Imagine writing a novel about a young woman making this choice--how would it end? What would happen to the young woman after the deflowering event? But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's the situation, and the link if you want to read it yourself. http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-01-23/why-im-selling-my-virginity/

Natalie Dylan (a pseudonym) is a 22-year-old woman who recently earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Women’s Studies, and soon will be entering a Masters Degree program in Marriage and Family Therapy. She's already got a thesis idea, which is the value of virginity, and to test this she's selling her own virginity on the Moonlight Bunny Ranch website. The highest bid so far is $3.8 million. Yep, that is 3.8 mil--not a typo. I forgot to tell you, she's raising money for her tuition.

But back to the novel. There are so many threads here it would take me a year to figure out in which direction to take the plot. First, I'd want to handle exactly why there's a monetary value placed on virginity, but there obviously is. Then there's the fact that the intact hymen can be faked. There are surgical repairs done in this area. Nor is everyone built the same. But what's the big deal, anyway? Is it just because I'm a woman that I wonder about this?

Let's say, though, that it's a one-time event , it transpires, and Natalie gets her millions. What happens after that? It's over, right? (or not?)

How does Natalie feel about selling this experience after she's on the other side of it? That's where the novel would get interesting. And since she's in Marriage and Family Therapy and plans to do counseling in this field, how will this event color the way she interacts with her patients? And dating? I assume that's an option, but will Natalie feel like telling her partners or future husband about how she bought her penthouse at twenty-two?

This young woman could be heading for more trouble than Anna Karenina--or at least that's how I'd write the book. Oh, one last note: I had the good fortune to go skiing with some friends and the lovely house we're staying in, right on the main drag in Park City, is for sale. Two point eight million. A bargain! Or, if you had to make a choice, which would you pick?

2 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

I'm for sale! Snark aside - if someone offered me 3 Mil, and I still had something to offer, I'd take it.

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

HaHa! Me, too. Maybe there's something to be said for experience? Hey, when did my teenager get in last night, anyway?