Thursday, February 19, 2009

Techology and vanishing hours

I had to grin at Vicki's frustration. I'm there! Since she and I are planning our book tour together, I have some feeling for the mounting STUFF we have to do. We're printing off our postcards to invite people to signings, printing off more cards for the bookstores, making sure our dates are lined up, getting car rentals. You get the picture. And because of our technological advances, it has to be done right now. I mean, I feel guilty if it takes me a day or two to respond to an email. (Very often because I simply don't know the answer) Is everyone else that way? I would imagine so.

I've already done my rant about how often certain aspects of technology adds to stress in our lives, so now I'm going to rant about something different. I just read a review of my latest book, Pleasing the Dead. It's just hitting the bookstores, so I'm at that stage of holding my breath whenever I get a Google alert. Yikes, will this reader have liked it, or will there be negativity spread across the world-wide-web about my new baby? So far, the news has been good.

Until today.

The reviewer says that my protagonist has moved to California to be with her boyfriend, and she liked all my past books but this one could have taken place anywhere.

Huh? Are we talking about the same book? This person must have been distracted, or under a lot of stress. You see, my protagonist lives in Honolulu and goes to Maui to help a new client. Meanwhile, to Storm's great dismay, her boyfriend has decided to take a "break" from the relationship and has gone to California to do interim work with another law firm. Meanwhile on Maui, Storm spends a lot of time along the coast near Lahaina, Kihei, Wailea, Makena.

I'll be the first to admit I often make mistakes that muddy my intent, but everyone else has understood. So I guess it's just one of those things. The reviewer must have had other things on her mind.

So now I'm curious. Has this happened to you? What was your WORST review? Do you even want to talk (or write) about it?

3 comments:

Charles benoit said...

clearly they didn't read the book - I had a review like that for Relative Danger where, somehow, the reviewer thought the murder was a cross-dresser. An interesting plot idea, yes, but nothing like that at all in the book.

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

Love it! A cross dresser. I read Relative Danger and LOVED it (despite the fact that there wasn't a cross dresser).

Vicki Delany said...

In a review for Valley of the Lost, which was quite short, the reviewer spent quite a bit of the precious space complaining about Lucky Smith. I thought he/she knows someone like that in life and has issues.