Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tucson Festival of Books

Oh, man, I don’t have anything nearly as exciting to report as any of my blogmates.  I certainly don’t have a book contract with Harper Collins!  Nor has my agent told me my new manuscript should be longer.  And, sadly, I am not on a lengthy international book tour after attending Left Coast Crime in Hawaii.


No, I am dull.  I am one of the faceless masses of journeyman writers, toiling in anonymity, hoping for a break, or at least a good idea.  I will get to see Vicki and Debby next week, if all goes well, when they come through the Phoenix area on their glittering, whirlwind tour, so that’s good.  


I will also be traveling to Tucson on Sunday, to participate in the Tucson Festival of Books at the University of Arizona.  This is quite a big deal.  Over 300 authors from all over the country attend over the weekend.  Many come simply to sign their books, and many participate in panels, talks, and workshops.  I will be giving a mystery writing workshop, which I call “How to Commit Murder,” at 2:30 on the 15th.  I’ve conducted this workshop in its many variations several times over the past couple of years. I always have a wonderful time at it, and the participants seem to, as well.  I talk about the elements of a good mystery, and how one can construct a mystery novel that is both satisfying and unique to the author. 


This will be the first time I’ve left Don alone for more than three or four hours since he got sick last January.  I’m a little anxious about that, though he’s getting around the house very well on his own, now, and we have friends on alert if he needs something.  Otherwise, I’m really looking forward to attending such a writerly event, and being able to spend the day talking about mysteries.  Perhaps I’ll inspire myself.