Monday, April 13, 2009

Hats and a cookie recepie


The attached picture is of me wearing the hat I bought specifically for my appearances to promote Gold Digger: A Klondike Mystery. I will try to find a better shirt to go with it!

Gold Digger is now available in some bookstores, particularly in Canada, but I’m holding off my big announcement until is it is stock in Amazon (there has been a delay).

In the meantime I had a great book signing at the wonderful Otter Books in Nelson, B.C. last week. Taking a tip from Debby, who baked cookies for one of our Hawaii appearances, I decided to bake also.

The cookies were a great success. I am usually pretty good at approaching people, but having something to offer really helped. People certainly appreciated them, and several asked for the recipe. So here it is.

Lucky Smith’s Kootenay Kookies.

1 c. Butter
1 c. Sugar
2 tbsp molasses
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 c. Flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 ¾ tsp soda
2 c rolled oats
2/3 c raisins
2/3 c chopped nuts (or can use more raisins)
Combine butter and sugar until creamy. Add molasses, vanilla, eggs. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, soda, oars, raisins, and nuts. Stir dry ingredients into butter and egg mixture.
Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10 – 15 minutes.

P.S. The cookie thing worked well in a small, busy, independent bookstore. I would probably not try it in a store in a mall or a big box store. I suspect the cookies would be gone in 15 minutes, taken by teenage boys on the way to the coffee shop.

2 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

It's certainly fine with me if you want to wear road kill on the top of your head.

;)

Susan D said...

A CUP of butter. Wow! I'm trying this.

What's wrong with the shirt? Looks good to me.