Monday, December 21, 2009

Wandering Thoughts

If it’s Monday it must be Vicki writing. Alas, I have very little to say. I have spent the day cleaning, shopping, cleaning, menu planning, cleaning. My mom comes tomorrow and two of my three daughters shortly after. It’s not that my house is normally a dump, but when company is coming I like to clean it top to bottom. Okay, not bottom – I have a rubble cellar.

After all that hard work, not to mention all the cooking in my immediate future, I find I have nothing very inspirational to write about.

A fitness expert wrote an article recently in the paper about how to boost your metabolism over the holidays. One of his tips was to do an hour’s workout just before sitting down to dinner.

A woman (natch) wrote a letter to the paper mentioning it was obvious this gentleman was not in charge of basting the turkey. Nor, I would add, setting the table, minding the children don’t set the tree on fire, mashing the potatoes, getting Grandpa his whisky and soda, peeling vegetables etc. etc.

Made me think about how oblivious some people can be to the amount of work other people put in to give them a nice holiday.

So if you’re going to someone else’s house for Christmas dinner, or even having someone in your own household do most of the work, please thank them.

To make up for the lack of writing tips, how about some cross-national understanding. I believe from what I read that for many people in the U.S. Thanksgiving is the major family holiday of the year.

Not so up here in the Great White North. For us, it’s Christmas by a large margin. We have Thanksgiving in early October and it’s a day for families to get together and eat turkey, but very few people would travel more than a couple of hours to visit family on Thanksgiving, and not many would take a plane ride. But everyone makes all the effort they can to get home for Christmas. The traditional meal is turkey (Yeah! We can have it twice because it’s been two and a half months since the last time). I’ll be doing the turkey and all the trimmings, with two pies for dessert made from scratch (pastry included) apple and a butterscotch pie. On Christmas Eve I’m going to make a traditional Quebec meal of Tourtiere (which is a spicy pork pie)and on Boxing Day (which is a national holiday) I’m going to make baked beans with the beans I harvested myself from the field next door.

However, and wherever, you celebrate Christmas, have a great one.

No comments: