Saturday, August 14, 2010

Now I Have to Kill Someone

Like Peter, I am starting a new book right now, though I am still in the pondering stages and haven't begun putting words on the page. I usually have to spend a couple of weeks cogitating first, maybe a few days doing some preliminary research.

I never know what the entire story will be before I begin. I learned early on that you may think you have it all figured out, but you don't. However, in all my previous mysteries, I at least had a murder in mind before I actually began writing. I knew who was going to meet his or her doom and how, where the body was going to be discovered and by whom. I usually knew who did the deed, though I'm flexible about that. Before I start, I always think I know why the killer did it, but to date, by the time I reach the end I discover I was wrong. The motive seems get modified every time.

For the nascent Book Six, I know which characters will be involved, I know where the story will be set, what the season will be, what historic events will unfold, what the side stories will be. But I haven't yet discovered a body!

A murder mystery isn't really about the murder, of course. It's about the mystery. But without a murder, it's mighty hard to create the mystery. Not long ago, I told someone she should "trust the process" with her writing. Even if you don't know where the story is going to go, just start writing and trust that all will become clear as you go along. Have faith that the answer will provide itself when the moment comes. Apparently the time has come to take my own advice.

In fact, even as I type these words, an idea begins to form like a ghostly fog in the back of my mind. So if you'll excuse me, I'll be off. I have to kill someone.

Before I go, I'm very glad to report that my very special guest blogger tomorrow will be the New York Times best-selling author of Interred With Their Bones and Haunt Me Still, the lovely Jennifer Lee Carrell. Don't miss her.

5 comments:

peter_may said...

Good luck with the book, Donis

Donis Casey said...

Thanks, and same to you, Peter

Charles Benoit said...

Trust the process, yes, but part of the process is having a clear idea where you're heading. If your past books are any indication, you'll get there just fine.

Donis Casey said...

I appreciate your faith in me, Charles. In truth, I usually do have an epiphany somewhere along the way.

Anonymous said...

jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.