Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Finding a little space

My brain has been in a bit of a fog lately. (There are going to be some out there rolling their eyes and thinking, He’s always been in a fog.)

Too much work of the non-writing kind tends to do that for me. My theory is that something creative like graphic design drains the creative juices to the point where, when you get to the good part of the day and take up your pen (metaphorically speaking), the tank is almost or even completely empty. My solution to that, as revealed here, has been to write first and graphically design later. That works much better, but it still doesn’t really do the job. I’m sure all you "working stiffs" know just how much progress one can make in a week or two of “just writing”. It’s as if an extra head of steam builds up because that’s all you’re doing with your creative juices. Peter’s certainly been clear on that in his recent posts. He’s dead on.

So, on to my fog. Last night was a beautiful one here in Southern Ontario. This summer we bought a telescope, something we’ve talked about for years. We’ve spent the warm months learning how to use it. Trouble is, you have to drive about an hour to find a sky that isn’t completely washed out by the lights of the big city. So yesterday we decided to do just that, packed up everything around sunset and drove north and west.

The heavens were truly beautiful, the telescope worked (almost) perfectly. (That “almost” part was yours truly punching in the coordinates incorrectly.) However, something unexpected happened during the two hours we were out looking at Jupiter, Uranus, various stars and a few deep space objects.

My mind cleared out. I drove home full of ideas for my current writing project, and even though I was dead-tired and it was after 1 a.m., I sat down at the computer and spent nearly an hour jotting down everything in my head along with some notes on how to deal with them. This morning, they still look pretty darn good.

Even though I’m more than a bit tired, I can’t wait to get to work on the results of yesterday evening’s unexpected bonus.

“Change task” can really be beneficial. I should have remembered that.

6 comments:

peter_may said...

Good on you, Rick. Your excitement comes across the ether. More power to your pen!

Rick Blechta said...

That's it, Peter! I need a Power Pen!!

Now, where did I put Tom Swift's email address...

;)

Right now I'm socked in with rush design work because one of my clients got things a little screwed up. Sigh... I'm hoping to get to the writing bit as soon as I have things straightened out.

And to anyone else: if you want to have your mind blown, check out "Imax Hubble" which is currently being shown worldwide in many Imax theatres. When you see what the telescope is now capable of, I guarantee your jaw will hit the floor. In Toronto, it's being shown at the Science Centre.

Carolyn J. Rose said...

You're on the money.
Change task.
Check.
Consider things far larger than ourselves.
Check.
Mind clears.
Writing follows.

Anonymous said...

Great and inspirational post, Rick. As a "working stiff," I need it! Thanks for sharing. -- John

Vicki Delany said...

You're always welcome at my place, Rick, where the skys are so clear I can see the Milky Way.

Rick Blechta said...

We just may take you up on that someday, Vicki!