Saturday, October 02, 2010

Oddest Book Title of 2010

I haven't yet chosen a title for the book I am currently writing. For most of my past endeavors, I have chosen a title early on in the writing process, and then changed it when the book was finished. For the Alafair series, all the titles are taken from something that one of the book's characters says in the course of the story, so lately I have taken to waiting for someone in the novel to tell me what to call it. I never really care whether the reader knows at first glance what the title means, as long as he finds it intriguing.

Apparently I'm not the only author who struggles to find good titles for her books. Every year my sister Carol, who is always on top of things, sends me the winners' list from TheBookseller.com's annual contest for the book with the oddest title. You'll be glad to know that this year's big winner was Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes.

The Bookseller magazine's diarist, one Mr. Horace Bent, said, "Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes is a worthy champion to stand alongside the likes of [past winners] Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers and Living with Crazy Buttocks as winners of this distinguished award."

The complete list of finalists is:

1. Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes

2. What Kind of Bean is this Chihuahua?

3. Collectible Spoons of the Third Reich

4. Afterthoughts of a Worm Hunter

5. Governing Lethal Behavior in Autonomous Robots

6. The Changing World of Inflammatory Bowel Disease


I vote for Living with Crazy Buttocks as Oddest Title of the Decade.



1 comment:

Mary said...

I have somehow missed having these titles in my TBR pile. How could that have happened? LOL