Tuesday, November 02, 2010

One of the nice things...

I was exchanging emails with an old friend this past weekend. She’s trying to find a book deal on a novel she’s written (chick lit, as she describes it). She had a pile of questions of a technical nature, checking on how to submit, write query letters, the usual sort of things that you need to know in order to look as if you’re a professional, interesting and know what this is all about.

Something struck me partway through the “conversation”: unless you write Crime Fiction, SciFi/Fantasy or Romance, you’re going to be pretty hard up for support groups and networking opportunities – and we all know how valuable those things can be for advancing our careers. It’s one of those rare nice things in our struggle to become successful writers. Conferences can really be quite lovely experiences, and lots of writers don’t have access to them because of their chosen fields of literary endeavor.

Speaking of which, it must be especially bad for writers of “Literary” works. I mean, what are they going to do? The next step, of course, in my warped little mind is to imagine what a conference for literary authors would be like.

And here’s where I need your help. Could you write in with suggestions for panel topics for our imaginary “Literary” conference? In case one of those authors ever deigns to look at our little blog and thinks to him/herself “That’s a great idea!” I want to be able to get them started in planning their event. The poor dears probably have no idea how to go about it...

So, what would we see at this conference? What would it be called?

4 comments:

NL Gassert said...

Join us for our Sunrise Panel on the roof of the hotel. After we observe the sun rise over the horizon and enjoy a cup of herbal tea, we’ll discuss “orange” vs “yellow.”

Rick Blechta said...

I'd want to be there for that! Excellent suggestion.

Hannah Dennison said...

Hmmm .... I would definitely have to suggest a panel on "your underlying theme." Rick - what a really great observation? I hadn't thought about the lack of support in the literary world. I have made so many new friends through conventions --would be lost without my kindred spirits sharing my lifeboat.

Rick Blechta said...

My suggestion is: "How to deal with characters who turn morbidly paranoid".