Saturday, April 23, 2011

Coming Soon to This Very Spot...


My final official event for the launch of Crying Blood was last Saturday, and that,combined with Easter weekend and the heavenly weather, has given me a bad case of spring fever. The photo is the current view from my front porch, which will give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. Besides, it is almost May in Arizona, and well we all know that before long going outside at all will be a very unpleasant undertaking. On top of everything, I'm trying to get going on a new book, and it's like pulling teeth. As my father used to say, I'd rather stand on my head in a mud puddle than work right now.

Instead, I shall catch you Dear Readers up with what has been going on here in the great Desert Southwest, and what interesting things are on tap for the next few month or so.

Jean Auel was through town a couple of weeks ago, promoting the sixth and final installment in her Earth's Children series, and Don and I went to see her speak at the Tempe Center for the Arts. I bought a copy of her book, The Painted Caves, and am reading it right now. It's 755 pages long. I read an article recently in which the author speculated that the longer a book is, the more critics tend to respect it, regardless of the quality of the writing. I always knock myself out trying to remove every extraneous word from my books, which ends up making them rather short, but pithy, I hope. Perhaps I should rethink that policy.

My favorite author angel, Carolyn Hart, will be in the Valley (that's what we call the Phoenix metropolitan area) over the Mother's Day weekend as part of the promotional tour for her newest Death on Demand novel, Dead by Midnight. She'll be appearing with another of my favorites, Earlene Fowler (whose Bennie Harper beat out my Alafair Tucker in a "Favorite Cozy Mystery Character" contest. Not that I hold it against her.) They'll be at Poisoned Pen Bookstore on May 8 and at Velma Teague Library in Glendale, stomping grounds of the inestimable Lesa Holstine of Lesa's Book Critiques, on the 9th. I'm expecting to do lunch with the ladies while they're here.

Julia Spencer-Fleming will be at PP on May 3 - you can bet I'll make the trek up to Scottsdale to see her, though I don't know if she'll be here long enough for a lunch. Plans yet to be made. I'll let you know. Type M's own Brent Ghelfi will be launching his 4th Volk book at PP on April 29. I'd love to make it up there, but I have another deal that day, so it's looking unlikely at this point.

Blog-wise, I don't have myself scheduled for another guest appearance until June, which I did on purpose because, damn it, I need to write a book instead. If someone were to ask me to do a guest spot, though, I'd do it. The mantra of the mid-list author - If someone asks you to do something, you don't say no.

However, I do have some exciting blogging news concerning this very venue. The wonderful Charlotte Hinger, author of Deadly Descent and Lethal Lineage, who has guest posted for us more than once, has consented to become a regular contributor to Type M. She'll be blogging on the last Saturday of every month, starting this coming week, on April 30. Be sure and mark your calendars and give her a big welcome. I'll still be doing the remaining Saturdays, but Charlotte will inject a shot of adrenalin at the end of every month.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to write a book. Or perhaps I'll wander around outside in a daze for a while. In the meantime, I wish you all a lovely Passover and Easter.

1 comment:

Torque Wrench said...

that would be another great book from you, I never get tired of reading all the mystery behind every tale in your stories