Monday, April 04, 2011






Miss me? Highly unlikely with Frankie Baily chipping in on Monday and the new and totally wonderful typists Aline Templeton and Brent Ghelfi.

But, I’m back. For now. The house sitter can take a temporary break until I need her services again in two weeks when it’s North Carolina bound I am.

Barbara beat me to the punch talking about Left Coast Crime which was just great. I am at the stage in my career when I can decide on what conference to attend based on location. When I saw that LCC in 2011 was going to be in Santa Fe, I jumped at the chance. And I’m glad I did. Loved Northern New Mexico. Loved Santa Fe.

As long as I was in the area, so to speak, I decided to pop over to Arizona for a visit to Scottsdale/Phoenix/Glendale.

En Route, we stayed overnight in Holbrook, Arizona, self-described as “the town too tough for women and churches.” All I can say is that it must have been the food that drove any self-respecting woman out. We ‘dined’ at a steakhouse on pork ribs a lot tougher than that town, drenched in bottled sauce, and served with a corn on the cob that was squishy to the touch. What the corn was to the taste I did not bother to find out. After one of the most insipid ‘free hot breakfasts’ I have ever had the misfortune to try, we fled Holbrook. (Barbara Peters warned me not to stop there – in that, as in everything else, I should have listened.)

We detoured slightly to see the ruins at Homolovi which brought us close to Winslow. Deciding to take it easy and slow down to take a look at the town and not let the sound of my own wheels drive me crazy we went to town to take a picture of me standin’ on a corner.

In Scottsdale, Poisoned Pen bookstore requested a rush printing of Among the Departed (release date May 3, 2011) so I could have my launch celebration there. I was thrilled to share it with debut novelist Wayne Arthurson and my friend R.J. Harlick and talk about crime writing in Canada. Somehow we got on the topic of polar bears. Think you’re top of the food chain? – think again.

After the discussion we went to the Mission Restaurant where we were introduced to guacamole with pumpkin seeds. Definitely a new favourite chez Delany.

R.J. and I also went to the Velva Teague Library in Glendale (which has a hockey team, how can that be?) for a great talk with Lesa Holstine, one of the world’s great mystery lovers and hostess. If there is ever an award for librarian of the year, my vote is accounted for.

I've posted a couple of pictures of the trip. New Mexico architecture;Standin' on the Corner, in the Desert Botanical Gardens, at Teague with Lesa and R.J., Southwest dining.

1 comment:

Aline Templeton said...

Welcome back, Barbara! I'm looking with serious envy at the gorgeous sunny photos, as the rain trickles down the window pane here.
Aline