Sunday, June 05, 2011

A road trip to Trafalgar, B.C.

It's Sunday and the guest blogger is, of all people, Vicki Delany, who should be known to readers of Type M for Murder.
----------------
Miss me? I wasn’t away for long, now was I?

When Rick asked me if I’d be the guest blogger this week here at Type M, I was happy to oblige. Nice to see that the blog hasn’t fallen into disrepair since my departure.

I’m writing this in lovely Victoria, British Columbia where I am for Bloody Words, the Canadian mystery convention.

When I heard that Bloody Words was to be held in Victoria, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to pay a visit to Nelson, B.C., the inspiration for the fictional town of Trafalgar, B.C. in the Constable Molly Smith novels.

On May 10th, I set off from Ottawa, Ontario. The trip began on a low note when I found the side window of my car smashed and th GPS stolen. However, the window was soon repaired and a new GPS installed.

Since then I have battled floods in Manitoba:



isolation in Saskatchewan:










dinosaurs in Alberta,



tricky mountain roads in British Columbia,





To finally arrive in Trafalgar.. uh Nelson.





Here's a picture of the big black bridge Molly Smith and John Winters are always driving across:

Front Street, the patrol of which on a Saturday afternoon, Smith thinks must be the most boring job in the world:







The patio at Big Eddie's Coffee Emporium:



and the view from Smith's apartment on a rainy day.







Finally, the view from my hotel balcony in Victoria.






Vicki Delany's newest novel is Among the Departed, fifth in the Constable Molly Smith Series from Poisoned Pen Press. She is also the author of the Klondike Gold Rush series and standalone novels of suspense. Visit vickidelany.com, She blogs about the writing life at One Woman Crime Wave and can be found on Facebook (www.facebook.com/vicki.delany) and twitter @vickidelany

4 comments:

Frankie Y. Bailey said...

Welcome back, Vicki!

I love the photos. I used to live in Seattle, so it's fun to see bits of that part of the world.

Donis Casey said...

Great photos

Rick Blechta said...

Cascadia forever!!

(Vicki had a much better view from her hotel room than I did.)

Aline Templeton said...

You're only doing this to make the rest of us feel jealous, Vicki!
Still, I'll raise a glass to you tomorrow night when I have Peter May and Janice jetting in from the beautiful, but probably wet, Hebrides, where his new series is set, to stay with us here on the Scottish tour.

Aline