Wednesday, October 05, 2011

To Tweet or not to Tweet ... that is the question

Like many authors - or perhaps it's just me - I've questioned the effectiveness of Twitter. I rarely tweet and what tweets I tweet are those generated by default via some fancy-smancy Facebook or Linkedin connection that my techno savvy friend Yunhe (pronounced Win-hay) set up.

Most of the time I wait for a big batch of Twitter requests to build up in my inbox and then accept them whilst I'm on hold on the telephone at work. Am I a terrible person? Who am I to reject a request? I need all the social friends I can get. I'm not exactly sure why but since everyone else is doing it, I don't want to get left behind. I am a bit more circumspect about people I follow though. I like to look at who they are and what they do.

So you can imagine my absolute delight when something actually fabulous and productive came from Twitter. Since my Vicky Hill series will come out in the UK next year I started to pay attention to any British writers or journalists who were asking to follow me. One was freelance journalist and writer, Walter Ellis  On checking Walter's website, I found out that he and I had worked for the newspaper tycoon Robert Maxwell a gazillion years ago.

One thing led to another and to cut a long story short, Walter put me in touch with Chris McVeigh, a digital publishing consultant who runs his own company called FourFiftyOne on both sides of the pond.

It turns out that not only does Chris work closely with my new publishers—Constable & Robinson—but he lives about six miles away from me in Santa Monica. I'm meeting him for coffee soon to hopefully draw up a plan of action.

True, this smacks of six degrees of separation and all that but frankly Twitter provided the missing link.

So from now on, I'm all atwitter.

6 comments:

pay for paper said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
buy research papers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hannah Dennison said...

Thanks for stopping by. I am determined to hone my Twitter skills now!

forensics4fiction said...

Great post. I'm just getting ready to finally upgrade my phone so I can tweet with the best of them!

Aline Templeton said...

I'm trying to convince myself that I ought to get on Twitter, though it all seems a bit scary. Your story has made em feel erphaps it might not be so bad after all. Thank you!
Aline

Donis Casey said...

My, my! I'd like to know how it turns out.