Thursday, November 17, 2011

Character Before Plot, Once Again

John here. This week, I stumbled upon an interview with one of my favorite authors. I urge you to listen to it.

And as you do, consider: 1) the premise of the novel being discussed, 2) when the author began the project and why it took so long to complete, and 3) how important characterization must be in this novel.

I enjoyed listening, and once again, came back to a long-held belief: if you can create compelling characters that readers care about (even if the character takes 30+ years to percolate inside you), you can write any damn storyline you want.

Listen, and see what you think.

3 comments:

hannah Dennison said...

Love Stephen King. This is great. Thanks for posting the interview! I feel I am learning all the time.

H. L. Banks said...

Huge fan of Stephen King and there's nothing like hearing from a master of the craft. Thanks.

H. L. Banks said...

Huge fan of Stephen King and there's nothing like hearing from a master of the craft. Thanks.