Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hail and Farewell

You may have noticed that I (Donis) I have been missing in action for the past few weeks. I have mentioned that my husband has been undergoing some rather alarming health problems since last autumn. Three weeks ago he had an operation which has entailed some complications and a couple of hospitalizations, so my expectation that I would be able to resume my regular blogging schedule within a reasonable time have been knocked into a cocked hat. So I regret to say that after today’s entry I will be retiring from Type M 4 Murder after six wonderful years.

I am going out with a bang, though. Tomorrow I am hosting Type M's Sunday’s guest blogger, Betty Webb, whose newly-released Lena Jones mystery, Desert Wind, is getting rave reviews.

As I told our fearless leader Rick, I'm very sorry to leave you. I managed to maintain my post all through the spouse's earlier health crisis in 2009, but this situation has gotten the better of me. Type M has been a wonderful experience, and I have made many good friends because of it.

But life intervenes. If any of you Dear Readers are masochistic enough to want the excruciating details, I am blogging about our health journey as well as my writing journey on my own web site (www.doniscasey.com) If all goes well, I hope to be able to come back and at least do a guest post or two here at Type M about the time my sixth Alafair Tucker mystery, The Wrong Hill to Die On, is published this coming October.

That is, if I can get the finishing touches on the new book between nursing chores. It would certainly help if I were able to practice the craft with any consistency, for if there’s one thing I’ve learned from this experience, it’s that constant distraction and virtual brain death is really bad for creativity.

When I was a kid, I started writing stories as a distraction from family trauma. I created worlds and escaped into them. I don’t know the reasons why Ruth Rendell, Colleen McCullough, Scott Turow, my colleagues here at Type M, and all the thousands of other authors write, but it has been forcefully brought home to me over the past months that authors do a service to humanity as important as any artist, humanitarian, or theologian.

They help us cope with life.

So hail and farewell for a while, Dear Readers. I’m sure we will meet again. As I ponder the future, I shall leave you with a stanza from one of my favorite Irish folk songs.

...Then since it falls unto my lot,
That I should ride, and you should not,
I’ll gently rise and softly call,
Good night, and joy be with you all.

6 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Sniff, sniff. Good luck with everything Donis. I am still hoping to see you in October.

Frankie Y. Bailey said...

Take care until you can join us again.

Irene Bennett Brown said...

You will be missed beyond measure but until your return, I will be following you on your website. All the best!

essay jobs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donis Casey said...

Thanks, all.

FFXI GIL said...

Sniff, sniff. Good luck with everything Donis. I am still hoping to see you in October.