Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Casting about for a topic

With my usual Tuesday spot looming ever larger on the horizon, I’ve been casting about for a topic for my weekly post here on Type M. Saturday…no ideas. Sunday…nothing good. (I mean, if it doesn’t interest even me, what’s the use?) Monday (getting tense)…still not an inkling, a glimmer, a pinpoint of inspiration. Then it was nearly 11:30 and I was now late.

Then a thought crossed my mind. Maybe there’s a good reason why I haven’t been able to come up with anything. I checked the Type M archives. Cracking open the vault door, I headed down the winding door. A half hour later, I was back safely in my studio. After wiping off the dust and cobwebs, I sat down to write my posting. Looking back, I’d discovered that since we started back in 2006, I’ve written 252 Type M posts. Holy Mackinaw! That’s at least a full-length novel – if not two.

I’ve been around since the beginning, back when we were all ten-year-olds and Vicki Delany had a great idea: “Hey, I’ve got a steam-powered computer my granddad made for me. Let’s do a mystery blog!” So Charles Benoit, Vicki and I set out to find a few more friends to join us and Type M was born on June 26, 2006.

Members have come and gone. We got into some right good fights (but no raised voices and only gently bruised feelings). Along the way, we got an award for being one of the best creative-writing blogs and another for being an “outstanding mystery blog”, we were discovered by spammers (for those old-timers: remember Anonymous trying to sell us cheap knock-offs from China?) and we’ve managed to attract a loyal following.

Now, let’s face it: this blog was started as a way for its member’s to discuss what they love doing, but it is also all about us trying to promote our writing. Have we sold more books as a result? I’d like to think so, but that’s a hard thing to quantify. It’s not like books come with a response thingy at the back, asking something like:

“How did you hear about this book?
a) a review
b) a friend
c) browsing in a bookstore
d) an online site
e) the FABULOUS Type M for Murder Blog?

Wait a moment. I think I’m on to something…

No comments: