Friday, September 28, 2012

Small Matters

Last weekend I hosted the Western Writers of America booth at the Mountains and Plains Bookseller Trade Show. It's one of my favorite events. Representatives from New York houses show up with books from their fall lists and bookstore owners eagerly look for books their readers will enjoy.

It's a great opportunity to meet the owners and managers of bookstores and the reps from various houses.

I had a surprising conversation with a representative from Ingrams which distributes books for Poisoned Pen Press.

I was shocked that she recognized my name. Then got a double shock when she told me I don't market my books enough. She didn't hesitate to scold me for not giving enough talks and presentations. I was surprised. And heartened to know that this kind of contact counts for so much. She says when she sells my books to stores, the response if often "never heard of her."

So much marketing has gone to on-line, that I've neglected the hard work of contacting booksellers and libraries. I really don't mind speaking, it's the process of setting things up that I find daunting.

Boy, did I ever hear some interesting advice. I asked her about the effectiveness of on-line marketing. She said small stores feel like this mainly helps the on-line stores. As to writers conferences--she said we only talk to one another while we're there.

Gulp! Nailed!  She's entirely right. At conferences, I tend to seek out my buddies.

So I changed my tactics. I decided to reform right then and there at the event. A man wandered over to our table. He was from a town close to me. He was quite chatty and interested in the books written by WWA members and my mysteries in particular. I asked if he was interested in a signing. His store is small, and we discussed topics that interest his customers.

The town has a lot of Episcopalians. Lethal Lineage begins in a small country church where a sinister bishop is performing a confirmation ceremony. I'm going to see if their local church might be interested in a program about church history,

Signings are difficult. They are hard to get. Volunteering to present a program for organizations gains immediate acceptance. I'll talk and he can supply the books.

Small matters. If this were not true, there are a lot of politicians knocking themselves out for nothing.

7 comments:

Frankie Y. Bailey said...

Great to get that kind of useful feedback.

Getting out and about helps me with name recognition, but I seem to do much better when I'm speaking about a topic or leading a book discussion than when I try to deliberately focus on marketing my books. A lot of it has to do with my comfortable level.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Frankie, I agree. I think focusing on the non-fiction aspects of our books is much more interesting. Sitting around talking my own books seems slightly crazy.

Hannah Dennison said...

Actually - I found your post heartening indeed! I've been getting increasingly depressed about connecting with booksellers and feeling no one notices. That's great to know all is not lost!

Charlotte Hinger said...

Hannah, thanks. I think I mentioned in a previous post that a lot of bookstores are tired of shilling for Amazon. They sponsor a signing, then a reader comes in with a book bought on-line for a lot less money than they can sell them for and wants the author to autograph it!

Cheap GW2 Gold said...

Certain it had been a wonderful weekend!, I am just pleased for you personally!, your clothing is actually georgeous!
D3 Gold
Guild Wars 2 Gold kaufen

Guild wars 2 gold said...


Guild Wars 2: Camera further out zoom in the beta-test
ArenaNet is currently testing a new camera, which should be aligned optimally ffxi gil for 16: 9 and 16: 10 screens and provides a distant view of the character.

A beta test to show whether an optimized camera for wide screens for the players Guild wars 2 gold is the case on appeal. With a simple addition to the GW2 link, the slightly more distant camera can already test of each.

In the official Guild Wars 2 Forum there is a detailed description of the simple change of a new camera angle (field of view).http://www.safegw2gold.com/

1. Create a shortcut to your Guild Wars 2 client (right-click-> "create shortcut")
2. Right-click the link to the Guild Wars 2 client

Emily said...

Geheimnisse sind. diablo 3 gold Also, wenn wir mit dem Spiel beginnen, müssen wir viel Zeit haben, um die Methoden zu lernen, das Spiel zu spielen. Wir müssen die lernen Tipps, Wege machen. Um Ihnen vertraut mit dem Spiel zu helfen, werde ich einige Tipps anbieten, die Ihnen helfen können, genug wow Gold in der Welt des warcraft Spiels diablo 3 gold verkaufen zu machen. Als eine neue Welt von warcraft gamer, am Anfang des Spiels, können Sie zufällig, um Konvertierung mit anderem gamers zu machen, so ist das für uns hart zu fragen, wie man schnell zielt, sollten Sie versuchen, soviel Suchen zu tun, wie möglich. Diese werden Ihnen mehr Erfahrung diablo 3 gold guide für Sie ausgebende Zeit geben.