Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ten Interview Questions about The Next Big Thing


Inspiration is the key, as Rick says. And this interview about my upcoming book had me scrambling for some!

 I was invited to take part in a blog chain about my "next big thing" by friend and fellow crime writer Vicki Delany. Rather like the old fashioned 'tell five friends, who tell five friends...' idea. Here's the link to Vicki's entry, posted Monday Nov. 12 so scroll down a little: http://www.klondikeandtrafalgar.blogspot.com.
And at the bottom of my interview are the names and blogs of the five authors to whom I passed the torch.

Now to the interview...

What is the working title of your book?
The Whisper of Legends, an Inspector Green Mystery

Where did the idea come from for the book?
After writing eight books with the same guy, I felt like breaking the mold a little and shaking up his life, in order to challenge not only him but me. I decided to move Green out of his comfort zone, both geographically and experientially. Green is a city boy skilled in conquering the urban dangers of unlit back alleys and manicured suburban avenues alike, but completely inept and unsure of himself in the country. So I thrust him into not just tame local countryside, but Nahanni National Park, a wild, rugged wilderness park in Canada's North. And I gave him the most terrifying challenge of all - a missing daughter.

What genre does your book fall under?
Mystery, police procedural

What actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie rendition?
After nine books, I have a very clear idea of my main character Michael Green, who is a forty-something man struggling to balance his passion for his job with the demands of his young family. I have always thought that Canadian actor Michael Riley could capture his obsessive, somewhat frenetic nature as well as staying true to his slight, deceptively youthful looks. If Hollywood were ever to come knocking, I can also see John Cusack in the role.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
When his daughter goes missing on a canoe trip in Nahanni National Park, Inspector Michael Green finds himself battling not only the lethal dangers of the wilderness but also a very human killer. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
The Whisper of Legends will be published by Dundurn Press in Toronto (www.dundurn.com).

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
About a year. This book required a lot of research, much of which had to be done as I was writing it.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
In general the Inspector Green mysteries are like contemporary British police procedurals with a Canadian twist. Gritty, character-driven books by authors such as Peter Robinson and Giles Blunt. However, The Whisper of Legends adds a wilderness adventure thriller element as well.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
In our increasingly urban world, I wanted to showcase the stunning beauty and ferocity of Canada's North, particularly the Nahanni River, which is a world heritage river. I also wanted to give Green his greatest challenge ever, a life-changing challenge.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
Besides coming along on the wild ride to find Green's missing daughter, the reader will also learn about  greed, revenge and conflicting values in the battle between precious gem mining, conservationists and Natives.

Below are the five terrific authors whom I have charged with carrying on the chain. Check out their websites, and then check their blogs during the week of Nov. 26, when they will be answering these questions and tagging five new authors!



1 comment:

Charlotte Hinger said...

I'm going to be carrying on this blog too. What a great idea.