Tuesday, December 18, 2012

When the news is too much to bear

Like everyone else, I’m sure, I was stuck watching the emotional train wreck that was/is coming out of Connecticut this week. I taught for 23 years, and in several schools that had primary grades. I loved “the squeakers” as many of us called the kindergardeners, and Grade 1 students. One of my favourite things to do was show up at their door with a large group of my band students and march through their room playing something we’d just memorized.

The amazement on their faces was just so wonderful. As I taught on, many of these squeakers grew big, their voices (sadly) changed and they became my students. One of the biggest wrenches for me emotionally when I stopped teaching in 2001 and moved on to other income sources was not to be able to spend time with these delightful little human beings.

I’ve held off discussing the tragedy with everyone except my family, mostly because it’s just something I want to move past. I know the news, and I just don’t want to hear anymore about it. I am not one of those people who stares at car accidents as I drive by. I can’t help the people left to pick up the pieces of their lives. If I could, I would, but I know it’s out of my hands.

The very odd thing is that having been to several parties over the weekend and just being out and about, nobody seems to be talking about it. We had people over to dinner on Saturday, I was at rehearsal last night, and also at a party and the subject never once came up. It’s not as if there wasn’t an elephant in the room all three times, but it’s as if everyone I’ve met just doesn’t want to think about it.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that response before – and it may signal that maybe, just maybe, people are ready to do something to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again.

We can only hope.

1 comment:

Charlotte Hinger said...

Riok, I've had the same experience. It's as though it's beyond bearing.