Friday, February 22, 2013

Interlibrary Loan

Hannah contributed one of my favorite posts to Type M a couple of days ago. Entitled "Terriers of the Information World" it was all about libraries and librarians. I can never repay the debt I owe to libraries that are on the Interlibrary Loan system.

Through Interlibrary Loan I've ordered a staggering number of microfilmed newspapers and also obscure books that would be of no interest to most library patrons. It would be a waste of precious resources for a library to carry some of the books I've really really needed. Fitting collars on draft horses, for instance, or reprints of old Grange speechs.

Because of this, I waive all speaking fees for libraries that use Interlibrary Loan. I hope their budget will pay my expenses. I need money for gas and a place to stay. If there is no money at all then I try to come anyway and hit a number of libraries along the way.

I once told my husband that since I lived mostly in my head I really didn't care where he plopped by body--provided the resident county had Interlibrary Loan. It would take a twenty mule team to drag me into a county that is not connected to this service.

First graders aren't too young to start using Interlibrary Loan. The very first time a child gets hooked on an author with other books available, but not shelved locally, he or she should march right up to the librarian and ask her to place an order. Children should be comfortable with requesting services.

Loveland has a very active Friends of the Library organization. Our volunteers are awesome. Our library is state of the art and I haven't begun to tap all the resource available. There are daily workshops, training sessions, discussion groups, presentations, and book clubs. Children have a number of delightful events to choose from.

There are no bookstores west of Hays, Kansas. Events flow through our lbraries. Support yours by donating time and money.

4 comments:

Irene Bennett Brown said...

I'm a step ahead of your post, Charlotte, as to supporting our libraries. Our small town is in desparate need of a new library. At a presentation and book signing for our local women's club, last week, I donated 50% of book sales to the new library fund. It was a successful event all around.

Donis Casey said...

Interlibrary loan has saved my bacon more than once when it comes to historical research.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Irene I can't think of more worthy project

Charlotte Hinger said...

Donis--it's my lifeline!