Friday, June 14, 2013

Cousins

I'm writing this blog from Topsail Island, North Carolina. This post will be short because I've succumbed to the sky and sand. In fact, I've found my calling. I was born to be a beach bum.

Our three daughters and their husbands and children (my grandchildren) have all rented a house right on the beach. There are 19 of us. All three live in Colorado. Through the years, the grandchildren have developed close cousin relationships.

They are following the example of their parents. All of the daughters were devoted to their cousins when they were children. They had no brothers and the male cousins were close to the real thing. When they were teenagers, they bailed one another out of messes that were kept secret from their parents.

Cousin relationships are different from any other kind of family attachments. You could count on cousins. I was devastated a couple of years ago when the only remaining cousin on my father's side of the family died unexpectedly. Rosemary and I had just recently picked up the threads of our family history.

I don't know of any mystery series that revolves around cousins. It's a shame, because of the potential for characterization.

4 comments:

LD Masterson said...

We never lived close enough to develop much of a relationship with my cousins as kids but we're getting to know each other now online. The joys of the Internet.

Hannah Dennison said...

I have so many cousins I have lost count. My mother was one of eight; her brother married twice and each time had ten children ... I think I have at least 70. A few have been in jail ... you know ... that kind of thing ...

Charlotte Hinger said...

LD--Yes! That's why I love FB. The number of family connections has been amazing.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Hannah--wow! That's amazing. Do you every have family reunions?