Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Switching gears

So, another week, another novel – or so it seems in the life I’m currently living. Having sent The Boom Room off to one publisher, I’m now ready to get back to work on the half-finished Roses for a Diva, which has been languishing in Writing Purgatory for the past two months while my attention was elsewhere. With another tight deadline staring me in the face, I can’t waste any time spinning my wheels, especially since I still need to do a lot of research on various topics from surveillance devices, to accommodations in Venice (which I wish I could afford to do firsthand but another trip to that great city is not in the cards – unless we win the lottery or a rich uncle I don’t know of yet leaves his fortune to me), to making up the plot of a plausible new opera to be premiered by the afore mentioned diva. To say the pressure is on to produce at least 4,000 words a day would be to put it mildly.

In order to get my head back into the unfinished novel, I’ve been taking long walks in an effort to reconnect with the proper “Roses” headspace. Re-reading what I’ve already written doesn’t really do it for me anymore. I need distance, not closeness to get reconnected – if that has any meaning for anyone reading this. After three days of walking and thinking, I realized today that I’d untraceably slipped back into the story, thinking up new aspects for the book, dealing with upcoming plot issues and problems that I hadn’t been able to deal with up to this point. In short, I had again become excited about telling this story again.

There is a lot of pressure on because this will be a sequel (something I normally don’t do) to my most recent full-length novel which sold (for me) quite well. I have a personal expectation for this novel to do even better and, first and foremost, I don’t want to let myself down. Since I’m my own worse critic, I figure that at least gives me a fighting chance to pen something worth reading.

Back to work…

2 comments:

Charlotte Hinger said...

It's amazing what you can come up with when you must.

Rick Blechta said...

I think the operative phrase here is "when you must". I don't particularly like a gun to my head when I'm working, but to be truthful, I do seem to work much better under pressure. I had a good reason to have to do it, but I wrote A Case of You in 11 weeks, start to submission. I was not a pretty sight by the end...