Thursday, July 04, 2013

Happy Independence Day

Following close upon the heels of Canada Day, I, Donis, shall wish a Happy Independence Day to all. Time to eat hot dogs.

For as long as I can remember, my traditional Fourth of July fare has been hot dogs and all the fixin’s and a big old ice cream float. I grew up in the Southwest, so for me, an adult hot dog (as opposed to a kid’s purist hot dog consisting of a frank and a bun) is served Texas style - piled with chili, onions, and melted cheese - and to this day, that is my ideal hot dog. However, in my dotage I have become infinitely more careful about clogging my arteries, and I am sad to say that I haven’t had a chili-cheese dog in years.

The first New York style dog I ever ate was actually in New York City in the 1970s. I bought it from a street vendor, slathered with mustard and kraut. It was delicious. Speaking of the ‘70s, I lived in Lubbock Texas in 1976, which, as some of you may be old enough to remember, was the
Bicentennial. The city of Lubbock held quite a celebration, with parades and fireworks and free food - including hot dogs! Fortunately I was young and spry at the time, and managed to elbow my way through the crowds thronging the poor hot dog distributor. I came away with one dog in one hand and half a dog in the other, with nothing on either but the wiener. They were delicious, dang it.

These days, I still pull out the stops for the ice cream float, but my hot dogs are tofu pups and frugally dressed. I like a little mustard, some chopped onion and sweet pickle, and ketchup.  But to each his own. As long as you don’t forget the potato salad on the side. That would be just wrong.

1 comment:

Charlotte Hinger said...

I trekked up to Lake Loveland last night for the traditional fireworks display. I love these old-time rituals.