Thursday, November 14, 2013

Don't hold your breath

John here.

Last week, my agent, Julia Lord, called to say an LA-based TV/film agent asked to represent my August 2014 novel. Julia said the LA agent was "hot," and the last thing she took from her was the TV series "Bones." Of course, I'm thrilled, as you can imagine.

I'm also chuckling like the cynical crime writer that I am.

I know only two things about the TV and film industries: First, I certainly know that if someone makes a movie based on one of my novels, I can pay off my mortgage. And, second -- and more importantly -- I know damned well the odds on that happening are similar to those of Boston Bruins calling me (and my gimpy back) out of retirement this afternoon.

One thing that I found interesting during the phone call was this question: "Now, I need to ask you about your artistic vision for the character," Julia said. "[The LA agent] is not sure your character will continue as a border patrol agent. Are you okay with that?"

I have three daughters to educate, two vehicles with 100,000 miles on them, and a mortgage. What do you think I said? But it raised some interesting questions. Among them, When does my character stop being my character?

"Would it bother you," my wife asked, when told of the conversation, "if someone made her something other than a border patrol agent or if they moved her from the northern border to the southern border?"

For me, my character stops being my character when she leaves the printed page. Am I oversimplifying? Probably. (I did, after all, see Alec Baldwin play Dave Robicheaux when James Lee Burke's novel "Heaven's Prisoners" was made into a film.)

Then again, the Bruins have yet to call.

4 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

Good luck to you, John. Hope you win this little lottery!

Charlotte Hinger said...

Wow. Yah, John. I hope this happens for you.

Aline Templeton said...

If Lee Child is satisfied with Tom Cruise as jack Reacher, I don't reckon you need to have artistic qualms, John! Good luck.

Frankie Y. Bailey said...

Good luck, John. Hope you get a deal that will pay off that mortgage.