Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Counting Blessings

As Sandra Boynton said in one of her greeting cards, “Things are getting out of hand. Please send chocolate.”

Christmas will be here in one week. Don finally set up the tree a couple of days ago. He also bought a poinsettia, and has managed to send out his Christmas cards. If it weren’t for him, there’d be no discernable holiday at our house. I am doing nothing but writing these days. I’m so close to finishing the first draft of a new book. Every day, I think, “this is the day,” but it hasn’t been the day yet. My plan was to have it done by the end of the year, and in truth, I don’t think I’m going to make it.

I love the writing, but I hate the pressure of trying to get the MS done in a certain time. I often wonder, do I have to do this? I said I would have it done in January, But really, would the world fall apart if I were a couple of weeks late?

Would it?

I have several things to attend to – some doctor things, some family matters. Not to mention that I really ought to do some shopping if poor Don is to have any presents at all.

Well, I shouldn’t whine, I suppose. I’m sure many of you Dear Readers have infinitely worse troubles than mine. At least I no longer live in Oklahoma, where my brother has been iced in a couple of times already this year. Here in sunny Arizona, it's 77 degrees F today and even if that isn't very Christmasy, I admit I do like not having to contend with ice and snow and busted electric lines. It would be hard to finish a book on my laptop without electricity to recharge the battery. I suppose one could spend many wintery dark hours with a pen and paper, scribbling out the manuscript by the dim yellow light of a kerosine lantern. If it’s good enough for Emile Zola, I suppose it would be good enough for me.

So at least I don’t have to contend with bad weather and no heat, and can sit in front of my computer in relative comfort. In a day or two I’ll write Christmas cards, and then over the next few days Don and I will go out together and buy our own Christmas presents and have a nice lunch. And maybe I’ll finish the book before the end of the year and maybe I won’t.

Wishing you all a holiday full of comfort and joy.

No comments: