Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How is this good business?

Several months ago, one of my publishers informed me that my novel, The Fallen One, had been sold to audible.com and that they would be producing a version of it. Great! This was unexpected and very good news. My first audio book. Just imagine!

I was also told someone from the publisher would be contacting me to discuss the project, and probably ask the pronunciation of various words in the novel, since they weren’t in everyday usage.

It dawned on me a few days ago that a fair bit of time had passed and I’d heard nary a peep. On a whim I went to the audible.com website and keyed in the name of my magnum opus. Sure enough it came up. Hoping to find out when it would be released, I was gobsmacked to see that it had already been released – in October!

Before I continue with my little rant, I would like to say that, based on the sample, the narrator, Christa Lewis, did a bang up job. (I still have no idea how she managed to pronounce the French Canadian patois, the Italian and the other assorted foreign words and musical terms.)

I have to say that I was very let down. My reason was this: if someone had bothered to tell me, I would have been out there promoting this new development in my authorial life. I mean, it’s Christmas, the gift-giving season, and surely I could help move a few copies. This is what all publishers expect these days from their authors, right?

But there was nary a peep from them. That doesn’t make a lot of sense, does it?

Another thing that sort of got up my nose is that if you key in The Fallen One into the search window on the website, guess what? My book is number fifteen on the page. And it’s the only book on the list whose title actually is The Fallen One.

I suppose I should just be grateful that the company (Amazon-owned, by the way) expressed an interest in my work and was willing to pay for it. That’s great, but it’s only part of the equation. People need to know they’ve got it out. The author needs to know so he can help the publicity push (if only to put an announcement on his Facebook page). If someone has trouble finding the book on the audible.com website, that is definitely not a good thing. It’s hard enough to sell books these days, whether they be paper, electronic or audio.

So I’m telling everyone here: please go out and buy a copy of my fantastic audio book for everyone on your Christmas list. I can 100% guarantee that it’s the best audio book by me that’s ever been put out!

And now I’ll go back to banging my head against the wall…

________________

From the same front but a different angle, the cover for my April release by Orca Book Publishers as part of their Rapid Reads line has appeared. It’s a lovely image with lovely colours which pleases me a lot. Only problem is… Well, I can’t tell you since it could give away the plot. So, here is The Boom Room.

2 comments:

Hannah Dennison said...

Rick ... that's good news about audible.com but sheesh .... you could have supported it! Thankfully, you found out just before the Christmas rush. I still have my holiday shopping to do and now I know what to buy!

Rick Blechta said...

Thank you, Hannah! MUCH appreciated.

Now if I can just get 1% of the North American population (a modest request) to buy a copy, then I will be able to afford a bigger Christmas tree this year (or maybe a case of Cheese Doodles to hand out to my friends).