Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Searching for a topic

Geez… What to write about today?

It’s rainy, cold and pretty darn miserable here in Hogtown (Toronto). We call it that (sometimes) because they apparently used to drive herds of pigs into town in the old days. Really? Herds of pigs? The west end of the city once had huge stock yards where, I guess, the pigs were driven to, along with cows and chickens and such, although I don’t suppose they drove flocks of chickens into town). The abattoirs are mostly gone now, replaced by huge building supply stores (three of ’em) and the smell around that neighbourhood seems to improve daily. They figure it should be completely gone in another 25-30 years. Anyway, it’s miserable day, and I’m feeling miserable.

Earlier this year I presented some photos of abandoned buildings that everyone seemed to enjoy. Here’s another one (click HERE, please). Is that not a very cool space (assuming you’re into abandoned buildings)? No matter how cool the photo essay is, one thing I noticed was the link to the page (http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/04/22/the-secret-symphinic-stage-forgotten-35-feet-below-a-local-piano-shop/). Holy mackinaw! They got two things wrong in the page name. “Symphinic” is not a word I’ve ever seen before (but it should be) and the concert hall is supposedly 40 feet below the piano shop. I mean, what has the standard of journalism fallen to on these information websites? If you do click on the link, though, you’ll see there are another few of this sort of abandoned spaces article in the right-hand column. There are some great time wasters here if you’re trying to avoid working on your novel (or cooking dinner, doing the laundry, ignoring the kids). I love stuff like this. Facebook is loaded with it. For those trying to avoid work (or who don’t know what to write about in their weekly blog post), Facebook is your friend.

Hey! I also found this (click HERE please) – probably on Facebook – and it’s about rejection letters. It’s pretty good, especially if you’ve received rejection letters before – and if you’re a writer, you most certainly have. They are a balm to the soul. (“Hey, I’ve never gotten ones this bad, and these people went on to have a storied careers. Maybe I should suck it up and send out my manuscript again!”) Feel better now?

On the topic of criticism, I pulled this off Facebook just this morning (click HERE please). Proves there are some clever folks out there, doesn’t it? These reviews are hilarious (the pen one was my favourite). Perhaps it would be fun to search through products on Amazon to spot opportunities to leave my own clever reviews.

Since it’s easy to be a disgruntled author (the whole world is against us), here’s another link (click HERE please). This one really isn’t funny, although I suppose it might be considered that in sort of a perverse way. But it does show why the world of us poor writers is such a mess, doesn’t it, if you extrapolate a bit. I also now know why most song writers’ output is sad these days. Come to think of it, most books are pretty sad these days, probably for the same reasons.

And there you have it, folks! A blog post on a day when you don’t have anything to say. Ah! The miracle of the Internet comes to the rescue again. Hope I didn’t ruin your day with all those enticing links.

2 comments:

Eileen Goudge said...

Ack! Rejection letters! When I was first starting out as a writer I got so many I was going to paper my office with them - if I ever got an home office, that is. I eventually got the office but the letters were history by then. In the old days of outdoor privies you know what they would've been used for :)

Rick Blechta said...

I DID paper my office walls with them...