Thursday, May 15, 2014

Playing Catch-up


My 2015 book was due May 1. It will probably be 400 single-spaced manuscript pages (100,000 words) when I’m finished.

I’m 250 pages into it. Only.

Yes, I’m confessing: For the first time in my career (seven books), I missed a deadline.

I’m working as fast as I can to complete the book, and I think it’ll be worth the wait. I believe it’s better than the first book in the series (Bitter Crossing, Aug. 2014). The writing process has been more or less the same as all of my books: I write a brief synopsis, a few character sketches, and even a few plot points – not an outline, but five or six pages sketching out what is compelling about each character and his or her backstory, which will serve as motivational material for my eventual plotline. I made some good headway, writing a hundred pages in the fall. Then, as with all of my books, the waters muddied. So I backtracked, re-reading the whole book, start to finish – which takes a week – in order to locate a thread. And then I continued on.

Add to my disjointed composition process the fact that we moved, and I started a new job that demanded my full attention 15 hours a day, and it’s not hard to see where I fell off schedule. But now I’ve settled in, my family has adjusted, and the book is going well. Still, I don’t feel very good about missing the deadline.

That’s enough chit-chat. I’m going back to the book.

I’m shooting for July 4. Cross your fingers for me.

4 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

For those who are interested in such things, Type M is now less than 99 away from 300,000 page views. That's a pretty great thing, don'tcha think?

Charlotte Hinger said...

John, I so admire you! I don't know of anything more stressful than moving. And writing a 100,000 page novel to boot. Wow!

Charlotte Hinger said...

John, I so admire you! I don't know of anything more stressful than moving. And writing a 100,000 page novel to boot. Wow!

Eileen Goudge said...

I see from the time stamp on your post you're an early riser like me. I don't burn the midnight oil, but I burn candles in the morning. Ah, the life of a writer...one of quiet reflection, contemplation and solitary pursuit. NOT!