Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hell With the Lid Blown Off - or - Book Launch Frenzy


The day has finally come. June 21, this coming Saturday, is the official launch day for my seventh Alafair Tucker Mystery, Hell With the Lid Blown Off. The big ol' launch party will be held at 2:00 p.m. at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, Arizona. The most fabulous bookstore EVER for launching a mystery novel, even if it is the middle of June in southern Arizona. So if you live anywhere in striking distance of Phoenix, do please come by.

Hell is my tornado book. You cannot realistically write a long series set in Oklahoma with eventually writing about what it is like to go through a tornado. It is horribly frightening and deadly even in this day and age, with Doppler radar, safe rooms, and insurance. Imagine what it was like throughout most of history, when one judged the weather by the cat's behavior, your trick knee, or whether the leaves on the trees turned upside down. Then even if you survived the storm by riding it out in your root cellar, if your house was destroyed, you were out of luck unless you had a bunch of relatives and neighbors who were willing to help you rebuild. Of course, if you lived in 1916 Oklahoma, you probably did.

I was recently asked to participate in a "blog hop" on my website, whereby an author is asked to answer a set of questions and then tag three other authors to do the same. One of the questions was, "how does your work differ from other books in its genre?" I surprised myself with my answer, and gained a little insight into why I do this. Here's what I said about the Alafair books: The Alafair Tucker series is unlike most traditional mysteries being published today. It is set during the pre-World War I, an era that is becoming increasingly popular with readers of historicals, but it takes place in eastern Oklahoma and features a 40ish farm wife with ten children. Possibly the least-hip idea for a protagonist and setting ever thought of. But I don’t care. Why do I write what I do? I’m tired of urban cool. I want to write about the people who are really important. The people who create the world, the mothers and fathers and quiet providers of homes and food and education and civilization itself. That’s the hard stuff, my dears. That’s the stuff of heros. Transformers and cage fighters and gun-toters, spies and drag-racers, femmes fatale, that’s just fluff. Ego-stroking fantasy. I want to write about air, water, and earth. The basics, and the people who are brave enough and strong enough to muscle through.

I've been hyping Hell With the Lid Blown Off since the publisher accepted it months ago, but now that it's finally available in every format currently known to humanity (hardcover, softcover, audio, and electronic), I'm doing nothing but sitting at my computer or schlepping to libraries and bookstores and shilling my hindquarters off. This will be my life for the next six or eight weeks, and even after the first wild promotional rush, the PR will continue off and on...ad infinitum. Because this is the life of a writer, and if you think otherwise, check out the entry Rick posted last Tuesday. If you still want to be an author after reading that, then you are afflicted with whatever ailment afflicts those of us who write books and I wish you all the success in the world.

3 comments:

Eileen Goudge said...

Congratulations on Pub Day! Love the cover & premise is most intriguing. Hope you sell a ton of copies.

Donis Casey said...

Thanks, Eileen!

Charlotte Hinger said...

Donis, I would love, love, love to be there. Can't wait to read it.