Thursday, June 12, 2014

Time Management

Warning: This post will be brief.

You see, I'm supposed to be writing fiction right now. School let out last Tuesday, and I've left my wife at home with our two teenaged daughters, taken our 5-year-old Keeley, and gone to Maine to focus on my 2015 Peyton Cote novel, which was due May 1. I've taken Keeley to the beach a couple times, but the main focus has been the book.

(Don't think Keeley is being neglected. My mother lives nearby, and who wouldn't trade time with Dad for time with Nana and her husband Mike, where life is ice-cream, jewelry-making, trips to Portland's Children's Museum, and lawnmower rides?)

Yard work at Nana's

For my part, it's been great to get in a groove and have large chunks of time. I feel like Travis McGee, who said he was retired and only took a case when he couldn't afford his retirement. I've had a chance to read the entire novel through, all 375 pages (and counting), and to push ahead. I know the ending, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And I'm hoping to get the book to my editor within two weeks.

Getting to write for six or eight straight hours is a luxury, one my 4:30-6 a.m. schedule during the school year doesn't allow. And it's one I rarely get.

So I'm going back to my book.

3 comments:

Charlotte Hinger said...

Your production is wonderful, especially considering all your other responsibilities.

John, your email bounces back. please send me the right one via Rick.

Eileen Goudge said...

Now that my kids are grown, my great luxury in life is to escape to an "undisclosed location" for weeks at a time to concentrate on whatever's cooking in the way of a WIP. Always get a ton of writing done. Fortunately I have a very understanding husband:)

Sital Chouhan said...

Hats off to the courage you have showed up. its better to be managed with time but the best strategy to be deployed shows up the effectiveness. I was very bad at time management and thus the best approach that I have adopted is to use the hours tracking tool from Replicon. I would recommend to go with the usage of such a tool