Thursday, July 24, 2014

Community News

One of the best things about being a crime writer is that the "community" of crime writers you hear so much about really is just that.

Case in point: I'm in Exeter, New Hampshire, where Dan Brown wrote many of his works, where there's a pretty well-known school (Phillips Exeter Academy), and where yours truly is in the midst of summer school — teaching crime fiction to 56, 8th- and 9th-grade students. Wednesday, I taught a wonderful story, “A Family Game”, by good friend Brendan DuBois, a novel and story writer whose short stories have won just about every major award a mystery story can win.

After he spoke to my class, we went for coffee. Brendan shared some information that I will pass on here: Audible.com, utilizing an Amazon platform called www.acx.com, has a program where a writer can offer his or her backlist (titles to which one owns the rights). Narrators audition for the writer, and the royalty splits give the author 25%. With a growing backlist (five and counting), it seems like a no brainer to me, since one can earn roughly $5 on every sale.

As Brendan did for me, and from one writer to another, I pass this information on to you. I’ll keep you posted as to how my Audible.com excursion goes.

No comments: