Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A letter to readers

Barbara here. This past Saturday, October 18, marked the official release date of my tenth Inspector Green novel, NONE SO BLIND. Soon I will be putting Rick's terrific tips for successful book signings to good use. I have signings lined up in both Toronto and Ottawa, as well as several book club guest appearances.

But today, in order to celebrate the book's release, and to give people a hint of what inspired me to write it, I would like to share this letter I wrote last spring when the ARCs were being prepared.


Dear Readers,

NONE SO BLIND is the tenth Inspector Green novel, marking a milestone of sorts. Each of the nine previous novels revolved around an issue of social or moral justice that inspired or troubled me, and in Michael Green I created a character who, although flawed, was relentless and unwavering in his commitment to justice. He always saw himself as a voice for the marginalized and victimized in society. His career and reputation were built on that belief.

I’m very proud of the success and respect the series has garnered, and I want the series and the characters to grow richer over time. In this tenth novel, I have given Green his greatest challenge yet. Not a physical one, as in THE WHISPER OF LEGENDS, but a challenge to his very belief in himself as a champion for justice.

In NONE SO BLIND, Green is forced to re-examine the case upon which his career and reputation were built. As a rookie detective twenty years earlier, he had gone against the advice of senior investigators to track down a college professor responsible for the death of a young co-ed. Green was widely praised, but the professor continued to protest his innocence through letters to Green from prison. Shortly after his parole, he is found dead of apparent suicide, a fitting end as far as most people are concerned. However, as Green investigates the suicide, he uncovers evidence that forces him to reconsider the original case.

NONE SO BLIND examines justice itself, not in the abstract, but with all the flaws, biases, doubts, and best efforts of those who strive to carry it out. I hope it proves as worthy a challenge for readers as it did for Inspector Green and me.

Thank you,
Barbara Fradkin

2 comments:

Sybil Johnson said...

Congrats on the book release! I'm working on book 2 of my series. Can't imagine having 10 of them out. Very cool.

Eileen Goudge said...

Cheers on your book release! Book tours can be tiring, so be sure to take some me time.