Tuesday, October 07, 2014

L-Day is here -or- why the heck am I so nervous?

Last time out: all those books. What if nobody shows up?
Today sees the launch of my tenth publication, Roses for a Diva, and quite frankly, I’m nervous as hell.

If you’ve hung around Type M for any amount of time, you probably know that I’ve been a performer since age fourteen — earlier if you count piano recitals. As a musician, I’ve played in front of 14,000 people (an interesting and funny story in itself) and I handled the stress of that pretty well. So why am I nervous about my tenth book launch? It’s not as if I haven’t done this before.

To be perfectly honest, I’ve been finding launches increasingly stressful. First, there’s all the organizing that needs to be done. To me, doing it right is a big deal. I’m hosting what is ostensibly a party. It’s not meeting a couple of friend “down ’t the pub” to hoist a few pints in celebration. I believe that after all the hard work and hours put in, a book deserves a proper introduction to the world, doesn’t it? This time out, I’m sharing the event (and one later in the month in Ottawa with Barbara Fradkin), so that’s making it marginally easier.

I’ve come to realize that a great part of my anxiety is worrying about how many people are going to show up. I’ve attended — and hosted — book launches where the turn-out was, shall we say, rather disappointing. Geez, no one likes throwing a party only to have it flop because of poor attendance! My wife tells me this is not something I have any control over, so I should just let it go and not worry, but that’s easier said than done.

So wish us luck. Since we’re supporting Frontier College with the sale of every book, I want to completely sell out, not just for myself (I’m sure Barbara feels the same) but also for them. They do such good work and have for over a hundred years.

If you are in the Toronto area and would like to come out and party with two Type M-ers, please come down. Details are attached.


6 comments:

Sybil Johnson said...

Happy Book Launch! May tons and tons of people show up!

S. C. Gates said...

Hoping I'm available for the Ottawa event, Rick. But I know what you mean about a party . . . I like 'em big & boisterous or small and intimate around a dinner table.If you stress too much, you'll be exhausted by celebration time! Good luck and have fun.

Rick Blechta said...

We had rain of near biblical proportions starting about an hour before the launch -- with the expected results. There was a good crowd (and our heartfelt thanks to those who braved the elements!) but, well, you know...

Still, we had fun and the venue is so fantastic it made up for much.

Donis Casey said...

I have the same problem, partially because with each book I wonder how long this ride is going to last and is this the last hurrah. I'm glad to hear the rain didn't spoil the party too much.

Eileen Goudge said...

Congrats on your book launch! Nice cover. If the attendance wasn't cheering crowds behind velvet ropes, that meant more time for you and Barbara to chat :)

Rick Blechta said...

THAT'S what we forgot – the velvet ropes! Damnation!!! It's always the velvet ropes...